Logo

New Tohatsu 4hp 4stroke oil problem

Razer93

Hello,
three days ago i bought new tohatsu 4hp 4stroke. I fill engine with 450ML oil. Then i sailed with new motor from 10 to 30 minutes. After two days i was trying to measue oil level. It wasnt anything to see. Then i fill more oil (about 100 to 200ML) and sailed 30 minutes too because it was strange (i couldnt measure oil level). A few hours later i tried to check oil level again and it was little oil. But when i turn on engine, warning lamp appear and i turn off engine fast (probbably i over fill oil)

MY questions are:
1) Why i couldnt see oil level (is it beacuse the engine is new and it have to works more?)
2) Tommorow i am going to drop all oil and fill with 450ML. I sailed 30 minutes with probably more oil. Can the motor be somewhere damaged during this period?

ps. i have external tank and i closed fuel cock. But today i see small gas level in internal tank? What that means?

Thank you

You must use only the dipstick to determine the correct oil level. Do not blindly dump in X amount of oil.

Use only non-synthetic, 10w-30, FC-W oil. The oil gets filled through the dipstick hole. You want a new engine filled to approximately 1/2 to 3/4 on the dipstick. Under no circumstances can that crankcase hold much more than about 3/4 pint (400-450 ml) oil when new. Keep in mind that new oil is very clear, and can be a little difficult to see on the dipstick. To get a proper reading, you must have the motor in proper vertical orientation (not tilted at all), wipe the stick with a cloth, and screw it in, then remove it. The level should be between the marks on the stick.

If you are overfilled at all -- even a drop -- you are asking for high crankcase pressures, aeration, possible liquid lock, and low oil pressure. Perhaps you should have your dealer check the oil level for you, and show you the proper procedure.

If you have dual tanks, closing the fuel cock (horizontal lever) isolates the integral tank from the rest of the system. If you had the cock open (vertical lever) and used the primer, you might have pushed some fuel backwards into the integral tank.

Thanks.

after all, i drop some oil with pump and sailed 1hour. Level was ok. After 5 days (today) i started again motor and i saw warning lamp again. Oil level was too low but few days ago level was fine. Today i fill 200ml (600mL since i bought motor) and sailed 30minutes and everything was fine and oil level is on second dash.

I forgot: before this problem in my port was tramontane (and bad weather), so my motor strangely drop from bearing and head of motor turn in rear position. Luckily it was on rope so it didnt fell in sea. Is it possible that oil leaked or something? Motor works fine, it starts normally and it works normally. Problem is that i dont know where is oil and why i have to overfill with 200ml today. Before overfill today, i checked level and it was too low..

Your motor must stay upright. If it is laid down on the wrong side, or inverted, oil will go where it should not -- either into the cylinder, possibly through the vent into the carb, or out of the motor all together. That may be the issue.

Aha.motor now works ok but in neutral position it has bigger noise then on minimum in forward .do i have to visit service or i can do it on regular service for 6months

RPM will be higher in N than in gear; also will be higher if the choke knob is pulled out. If in doubt, see your dealer.

Thank you. So higher RPM in neutral is normal. Ok then, motor works perfectly so i think that it is not necessary to visit service before regular maintenance service.

Back