Logo

Rebuilding KFL Engine this spring (2013). Need ideas

diskman2013

Rebuilding my dads mid-50's KFL in his 18' utility. Shes starting to consume LARGE amounts of oil to the point that ideling will load up and die.

Anywho, where can we find gaskets, valve guides, rings, etc for this motor?

What are the chances it's just rings? Oil pressure was tested last summer it was ok. Compression numbers are fine also.

Starting the tear-down in a week.

Thanks!

K series engines from Chris Craft were Hercules engines, so parts are easily available for them

Mitch Lapointe sells totally rebuilt engines,(http://www.classicboat.com/eng.htm) and Classic Boat Connection sells all manner of parts and gaskets for them.http://www.classicboatconnection.com/

Don't waste your time doing just rings. You have a 60 year old engine. Have the block cleaned and magnafluxed for cracks. Put new valves, hardened seats, new springs, bearings, gaskets, seals, and pistons in it. Rebuild the carbs. Anything less is a waste of time, and a stop gap measure. These are essentially 1950's stationary and forklift engines, They were also used in agricultural equipment. Tens of thousands were made. You can probably get some parts through your NAPA store.

Thanks for the input! I would love to replace as much as possible, but am a bit leery of tracking down the parts. This motor WAS rebuilt back in 1980 by Minnetonka Boat Works in Minnesota. It promptly threw a rod on the sea trial with them. But hey! We got a replacement.

I cannot remember what the pistons were. Its been about 15 years since the heads been off. I'm *hoping* the pistons are standard so we can go up a size.

I'll start calling Napa this week and see if they have misc parts for this old engine.

Ask for parts for a continental L head or Hercules engine. If you threw a rod after a rebuild, it's likely the rod was cracked, and should not have been used. This kind of crack can only be found by magnafluxing the rods. A lot of engine builders don't it, because they consistently rebuild newer engines. Ask your engine builder if they will do it to find out the integrity of the parts.

Last edited:
Hennen Engine is a great source for all your parts and machining needs ! They are located in green isle mn. 952-467-9038

Back