Logo

Waste System is to short

Hi,
At the end of last year I purchased a 1990 Sea Ray 350 Sundancer. Prior to this I had the 2001 Sea Ray 270. Here lies my dilemma.
The 270 crapper being a vacu flush could easily last the Mrs and I on the weekends at least 3-4 weeks before we had to pump out.
Now the MUCH larger boat with vacu flush only lasts 1 weekend and it is over flowing and full. Could they have put such a small holding tank on a larger vessel like this? Or am I missing something? It still has the sea cock that when open allows you to pump out under the boat and into the Lake/Ocean. I know, illegal and I am disconnecting and wiring the sea cock shot this boating season. Is their anything that would cause this to fill or be so small that it is good for 1 week end?
Thanks for your input....
Gator

Ayuh,... Can ya dig in, 'n See how big the tank is,..??

While yer there, observe the plumbin',...
Maybe it ain't fillin' right, or not drainin' completely....

Bondo,
Yes I can get to it easy enough, but damn,. You would think a 35' plus boat would have more holding power/tan than my 27' Sea Ray. Guess they figured on pumping it over board using the sea cock and all. Still... Common. 1 week end for 2 people and it's full. Shame on Sea Ray.....

Any chance the tank could have a large area of hardened you know what in the bottom taking up the space I/we need??????

Ayuh,... Can ya dig in, 'n See how big the tank is,..??

While yer there, observe the plumbin',...
Maybe it ain't fillin' right, or not drainin' completely....

Bondo,
Yes I can get to it easy enough, but damn,. You would think a 35' plus boat would have more holding power/tan than my 27' Sea Ray. Guess they figured on pumping it over board using the sea cock and all. Still... Common. 1 week end for 2 people and it's full. Shame on Sea Ray.....

Any chance the tank could have a large area of hardened you know what in the bottom taking up the space I/we need??????

Ayuh,... That's Why I asked if you can get to it....

If it is just too small, ya might be able to find space to go bigger, though I doubt it...

thats probably the reason that sea cock is there...as a 40 year owner of a houseboat i can sympathize with you...i ended up putting a treatment system on about 10 years ago for about 2k dollars...at that time the commode was 599 and the treatment plant was 1100...i looked about a year ago and the commode is 1100 and the treatment plant they say call on price...the battery and the plumbing and wiring ate up the other 300 or so..i can tell you from a coast guard inspection that the people could get away with the dumping...when they inspected my new rig all they wanted to do was put paper in the john and make sure that it didnt come out in one piece..the treatment plant itself is below deck and they didnt even want to see it when i offered to show it...whole deal is a joke.. i would say your storage is too small from experience with a family and with a tank that was too small....that was a real pain...always fills at the wrong time...there is a chance that you are using more water to flush than with the other boat...you may want to check that...do you have space fairly close where you can install another tank with a valve to switch?

another little question..are you sure when you empty that you are completely emptying the tank?....are you putting grey water in the tank also....i do not run the shower and sink through mine...i know i should....is it possible to disconnect tank and back flush it under hose pressure...nasty job but it may have residue in it and you are not dumping solids properly and if so you know you got hard build up from the owner before you..

Thanks for the replys. Only thing going in is the crapper:) It seems when I shut the overboard valve, took the handle off. Things did get better. Coast Guard said as long as the handle was off the overboard sea cock, I was okay. Again thanks everyone. Be Safe stay warm.

Back