Logo

CAT 3208T Advise needed.

robbiearnold

Hello All,

I'm very new to "big" boating, I have whittled down suitable vessels to purchase for my upcoming retirement, it just remains for me to arrange some viewings.

One boat in particular has caught my eye, it's a 33' 6" C&C built launch, from the information I have received to date, shows the power unit to be a CAT3208T 260HP, the motor has 2,600 HRS on it, the current owners have maintained the boat to a very high standard, motor has been fully serviced at the end of each season.

Can anyone advise me as to the average hours one can expect to get from these motors?, I have been reading quite a lot on the net and I find opinions tend to be somewhat contradictory to say the least.

I'm planning to settle in Newfoundland, so things can get a bit..rough out there, having a single diesel doesn't really worry me, most of the fishing boats out there are singles, what obviously does worry me is having a motor that's beyond it's useful life so to speak.

And yes I will have oil samples etc sent for analysis during the survey, but there's nothing to match good advise from people who have had experience with these motors.

Thanks

Robbie.

wow, that is a lot of hours on a 3208.

It all depends on the load factor over that time and how many parts have been changed. Is the injection pump original? The key thing with the fuel system on that engine is keeping water out of it.

One of the issues of the 3208 was dealers rebuilding them incorrectly. Cat never intended that block to be rebuilt. The 1100 and 3208 derivatives were Cat's first "parent bore" (aka medium duty) type diesel without wet liners.
Many dealers mixed pistons not understanding the many different designs and that worsened the 3208's cold start white smoke issue.

The unburnt fuel on a cold start is incredible out of those things. Burns your eyes for a while.

I suppose you could call Toromont or a Cat authorized (MEPS) dealer in NL and ask about getting a check done on the motor. Maybe ask the cost of some scenarios and see what's available should the engine ever turn south - e.g. can you still get a remanufactured engine or new

Is that really a lot of hours on a 3208 @ 260hp? Doesn't seem much for 10litre (?) engine making such little hp? Is there something about the design that is especially weak?

Thanks Chris,
That's the general opinion I've been getting from various other sources, anyway it's good enough to keep me on track with buying the boat I've found that suits my needs.

Cheers

Robbie.

Hello All,

I'm very new to "big" boating, I have whittled down suitable vessels to purchase for my upcoming retirement, it just remains for me to arrange some viewings.

One boat in particular has caught my eye, it's a 33' 6" C&C built launch, from the information I have received to date, shows the power unit to be a CAT3208T 260HP, the motor has 2,600 HRS on it, the current owners have maintained the boat to a very high standard, motor has been fully serviced at the end of each season.

Can anyone advise me as to the average hours one can expect to get from these motors?, I have been reading quite a lot on the net and I find opinions tend to be somewhat contradictory to say the least.

I'm planning to settle in Newfoundland, so things can get a bit..rough out there, having a single diesel doesn't really worry me, most of the fishing boats out there are singles, what obviously does worry me is having a motor that's beyond it's useful life so to speak.

And yes I will have oil samples etc sent for analysis during the survey, but there's nothing to match good advise from people who have had experience with these motors.

Thanks

Robbie.

Hello Robbie:)

If you want any type of advise for Caterpillar Marine Engines contact to the Alliance Trade Marine

Thanks

Leeza

Back