Logo

Chrysler 45 1978 Gear shift screwed-up

Yesterday I posted, "gear-shift adjustment", because I didn't yet realize how screwed-up it was.
Today, by disconnecting the throttle at the engine I was able to get 'er to shift into forward by pushing the shift handle as far as it would go. So, at idle, I took it for a ride. 5mph and back to the dock. But
no reverse no matter how far I pushed the handle. So now I know something is out of whack inside the
lower unit. Tomorrow I will take it apart and try to fix it. Any one got a clue as to what I might be facing?? Thanks, mm:p

Could be just a bad connector? Or maybe the gear shift arm is Broken or the shift rod needs adjustment.

Thanks again Jerry for the quick and dead-on reply. Too bad I didn't realize sooner what you meant
by bad connector. If I had, I would have given that cable end connector a good inspection and
found that it "gives" about one inch, under stress, at the motor end. So now I just need to replace
that cable. I'm sure they have them here at M-E. mm:rolleyes:

Post a pic of the connector??There is a difference in connectors,one kind for the sgifter and another for the throttle. Yes they have cables here. Just make sure that you order the right length. Somewhere on one end is the length stammped in the cable.

Back