Logo

Chrysler 45 1978 Gear Shift Adjustment

When I first put this engine and controls on this boat it worked well enough to take spin around the lake and that was all I wanted. The controls were not perfect but doable. This year the engine fired
right up but the controls are a little worse. The revs come up before the gears engage in forward and
even worse in reverse. How do these get adjusted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. mm:(

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help??? Disconnect the gas and shifter connectors at the motor. Then shift the motor into all the gears ending up in N spinning the prop to make sure it engages. Then at the control,shift it back and forth ending in N Then adjust the connectors on the cables so they match. The throttle should be a bit snug when you hook it up. You have pics of the connectors?

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help??? Disconnect the gas and shifter connectors at the motor. Then shift the motor into all the gears ending up in N spinning the prop to make sure it engages. Then at the control,shift it back and forth ending in N Then adjust the connectors on the cables so they match. The throttle should be a bit snug when you hook it up. You have pics of the connectors?

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the detail. I'll give it a try. I'm in Helendale Ca, in the desert. The boats at
my dock. A small lake, mainly for fishing. I'll try to get some pics posted of the controls. My assistant
is my wife. I work on the boat where she sits so I'm hangin out over the transom and if I drop any tools they'er in the lake. mm

You're luck to have an assistant!!! My wife just looks and laughs!!! Say we'll have lunch on the boat in the yard and that's all the fixin she's gonna do!!!

Back