Logo

Water in Crankcase on a 1997 Force 120HP

sportsman65

I need HELP please. I have a 1997 Force 120hp. Last year it was running good but the water comming out of the pee hole was weak. So I changed the waterpump this past week. I took it to the lake today to try it out and the waterstrem was great. But after running it for a little bit it started to skip and would not idle. I was thinking it was some bad plugs so I loaded it up and brought it home and pulled the plugs. All 4 of them had milk water on them. I started look for a cause and notced Milk water dripping out of the carbs. Started pulling water cooling hoses on the side of the block and all of them had milk water. So I'm guessing alot of water in the crankcase. I done a compresson test #1 had 120psi and #2 #3 and #4 had 150psi to 160psi. I'm thinking a head gasket. Any help would be great.

Any pictures of the water cooling hoses on the side of the block ?--------Possible a bad bottom crankshaft seal ???-----Yes , pull the cylinderhead for inspection.

Below is the photo of the hoses I was calling cooling hoses
20020.gif

I do not think they are " cooling water " hoses.-------They are the oil recirculation hoses.-----Definitely should be no water in them.-----Water inside an engine can quickly lead to rusted bearings / crankshaft / rods and that gets expensive.-----This needs to be sorted out as soon as possible !!!

Last edited:
Profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help??? Head gasket would probably only leak between 1 and 2 pistons. I doubt it blew on all 4. The exhaust chamber has a steel plate and gaskets under it. My guess it's sprung a leak there. That would allow water into all the cylinders. Get a can of WD-40 with the tube attached.Start spraying in all the hoses. The small hoses are for fuel recirculation. The exhaust plate screws have only about 7 #s of tourqe. Be very careful when removing. They are 1/4-20 and will twist off REALLLLY EASY. It's a job undoing them and not having them break off. Remove the 4 covers on the stbd. side. Spray WD in there. The plugs,spray there too. The carbs in there too. Remove the plugs and jump the solenoid and spray through the carbs.

Well this is what I have found. The gasket between the block and the exhaust plate was very evident it had been leaking a little water into the top of the exhaust chamber for a while. The top cylinder has evidence of rust. That would explain the lower compression in that one cylinder. When I put the new water pump on it increased the water pressure so much it pushed the gasket out more letting more water in. Just want to say thanks to everyone that responded. These threads are a great thing for the do it yourselfers like myself that try and save money.

Back