Logo

problem with motor run on water hose wont run in water

Ricky Morris

can any one tell me if there could be a problem with back pressure on a motor 115 evenrude it runs fine on water hose go put it in water wont start and run please tell me how to fix this

They will all " run " on a hose, means very little.----Model # of the motor ??----How long have you owned it ?-----Is this something that developed suddenly ?------What is your starting procedure ?------------Oil injection ( if equipped ) still in service?--------Just bought this motor ?-----Answer these questions and we can help you.

(Engine Won't Start or Hard Starting In Water)
(Joe Reeves)

The Evinrude and Johnson engines, starting in 1973, have what is called Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition, self contained, not dependent on battery voltage. The engine must turn over at least 300 rpms in order for the flywheel magnets rotating past the stator ignition generating coils to supply approximately 300v AC to the powerpack(s), which in turn is needed to supply power to the coils etc etc (spark).

In the water, exhaust back pressure is encountered due to the fact that the exhaust housing (housing between the powerhead and the lower unit) is filled with water. This would drag down the needed rpms, affecting ignition.
Normally the clue to this type problem is that the engine starts fine on a flushette (hose), but is very difficult to start when in the water.

Should this be the case, check the battery, clean and tighten all conections (use a wrench or pliers, not your fingers). Any cable that gets overly warm or hot indicates either a loose, or tight but dirty, or internally corroded cable. And of course check the starter itself.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

They will all " run " on a hose, means very little.----Model # of the motor ??----How long have you owned it ?-----Is this something that developed suddenly ?------What is your starting procedure ?------------Oil injection ( if equipped ) still in service?--------Just bought this motor ?-----Answer these questions and we can help you.
thank you for your response i have had this motor for several years have had it all way down apart to crank shaft actually rebuilt it i know a lot about motors but this has got me stumped oilgas mixed, 78 model 115 evenrude it has ran great in the past last summer took it out put in water ran great out for about 5 miles stopped to fish then went to move would not start, found out then was wire connection to coil came loose fixed this started up on hose fine took back to water then this started going on hasnt been aable to get back to running always runs good on hose take to water same starts wont stay running

You're not saying that it won't RUN when in the water..... you're saying that it won't START when in the water. Back pressure affects cranking speed, hence my reply #3 above.

can any one tell me if there could be a problem with back pressure on a motor 115 evenrude it runs fine on water hose go put it in water wont start and run please tell me how to fix this

Hi there dis you ever fix this and how ? I'm having same issue 60 hp johnson 3 cylinder

Maybe because I'm on my phone and not a computer but there is no option in the left too for we of that page anywhere saying post new thread. Thanks anyways

Back