Logo

1988 Evinrude 150 Ignition/Electrical Issues

evinrudexp

Hi All, I'm new on this forum and was hoping somone can help with my electrical issues which is preventing WOT under load.

I am having intermitent spark from bank to bank. I hooked up a strobe light to each bank and I can see the spark failing then coming back. The entire bank gets spark then fails.*Its spuradic and not consistent. Its only*one bank at a time that fails, never both at the*same time.*At first I thought it was a power pack and replaced them and problem continued. I swapped the packs and issue did not follow.

What would cause the spark to fail from bank to bank intermitently? Stator, Timer base, regulator?

Last edited:
I just had this happen on mine also, turns out like you I also got a new power pack, but after replacing it turned out to be a bad ground.

just for the hell of it disconnect the green and black kill switch wire under the cowl....there is a inline disconnect going to the power packs...also check the small connector going from the power packs to the timer base...these things are bad about the pins backing out of the connectors and just making point to point without being seated...

Thanks for the reply guys. The ground an all the wire connections are good, went through it all. I too was thinking stator or timer as I havent had any charging issues. I will try your recomendation Papyson this weekend.

It seems like its something that is failing and working on and off...

Back