Logo

Kad 44 EDC down in power. boat details, condition of hull/props, and observations listed

pmarine

This boat/engine is new to me and I have done a lot of work to it prior to sea trialing her. I will list all information and hopefully someone can cast some wisdom onto my problem!

The boat is a 1998 Proline 251 deep vee fast fishing boat fitted with a kad44 EDC coupled to a DPE stern drive.

I bought her as a non runner. She was running fine up until she was removed from the water after the starter failed.

The boat lay for two years unused. I have added fresh diesel, diesel bug treatment, checked fuel lines for blockages, replaced both fuel filters replaced both batteries, cleaned all electrical terminals, refurbished starter motor, replaced alternator, engine oil & filter, drive oil, boots, shift cable, shift actuator, belts, refurbished both water pumps, new coolant, air filter, refurbished turbo, new supercharger clutch and oil and replaced the potentiometer (also calibrated by the book)

The hull and drive are spotless both being rubbed down and painted with anti foul.

I do not have prop sizes as she is now in the water but they were the props fitted to her before I purchased the boat and I am told the boat performed perfectly. The tacho does not work. 450 hours on engine.

When I press the neutral button to rev the engine out of gear it only rev´s so high (30% on the throttle). When I push the throttle further to WOT it does not rev any higher

I assumed this was a neutral limiter so the engine cannot be rev´d to high in neutral. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have the same problem when I put the boat under load. Engine reaches the same rpm and will not exceed it.

There is no black smoke or any of that matter. Just fuel smoke on start up.

The kompressor engages when cold and when loaded (new clutch and oil)

When I load the boat in the bay the kompressor engages but the turbo doesn´t seem to ´come in´.

There are no ´whoosing´ noises indicating a boost leak.

The turbo to aftercooler pipe is in place with a new clamp and the o rings are present. New turbo clamp and gaskets.

The only thing that I noticed while on the water today was that one the bungs on the inlet manifold had vibrated loose. I initially though I had the problem solved.

There was no ´huge´ rush of air from the inlet manifold while this bung was missing. I replaced it by hand including the brass washer. I know if should be tighter but I had no tools on board today. I checked all the other bungs and they were tight.

So I have nothing abnormal that I can see! No exhaust or air leaks. Can anyone explain where to connect a boost gauge or shed some light on my suspected throttle neutral limiter?

Thanks!

I'm not familar with this engine, but it sounds like the ECU (computer) is derating the engine because of a code or error. My first guess would be a faulty sensor for the Tachometer. The computer needs the information provided, but cannot get the information. It will default to safe mode and derate the engine. There must be some way to read the code. Follow the clues to solve the problem provided by the code and clear any remaining codes. This is assuming all other issues are in order(clean fuel, correct prop, no air leaks etc.) Good luck and let us know what you find.

Hi,

The engine has diagnostics and shows a fault light that flashes different sequences for different fault (when promted) there are currently no faults present.

Thanks

My suggestion would be to get the Volvo laptop hooked up. It should be able to tell you the boost pressure and fuel pressure. Also you can run cylinder cutout tests etc. I fine it odd that you do not have a code or fault.

Why won't the tach work? It is a pretty important item to help work out your issues. Have you checked that the throttle is being fully advanced at the injector pump? It does sound more like an ECU issue, but check the throttle movement anyway. Is the engine revving high enough for the supercharger to cut out?

Back