Logo

Wire for a kill switch

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Good day folks. You guys are so awesome that I decided to ask a simple question. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series. I'm wandering which wire I splice into in order to put in a kill switch? (Is it okay to use a regular toggle switch?)

The manual says its supposed to be a black wire with a yellow stripe on it. Unfortunately, there is no wire on either side of the motor fitting that description. What wire do I use, and where is it located?

I appreciate any help I can get.

thanks guys

robby

Thank You mr. Haven't a clue. Were is the ignition switch located (as in on the motor)?.

And when you say "take it to one side of the kill switch and ground the other" what do you mean by that ?

I have a regular 2 prong toggle switch to splice in. This is pull cord start without a battery to it. So, could I just splice toggle switch prongs to the white wire to break the circuit when I need to stop the motor? Or, do I actually need to ground out the switch with a wire?

Sorry for being dumb and too specific. I asking so many questions so I get it straight and don't screw up anything because times are tight now.

Thank you haventaclue, I owe you.

Robby

No keyed ignition switch on a pull start.
"take it to one side of the kill switch and ground the other" what do you mean by that ?
The kill switch is your switch. Connect the white wire to one terminal and a grounding wire to the other terminal and the other end of the wire to an engine bolt for the ground or earth point.

thanks a lot guy jg. Tell me, is this white wire going into the plug (that if I had controls that I plug it into) because the only white wire that I can find is in the bunch that are going into this plug. What do you mean by earth ground? Could I just stie the ground wire into any bolt that's on the engine?

Thanks for your help

Haventaclue will know about the white wire; I don't have a wire schematic so I can't say for sure. ground point = earth point, nearly any bolt attached to the powerhead will work as a ground point.

I believe that the elusive white wire should come from the CDI unit (assuming it is a CDI) and only go to a stop switch. The stop switch should, in the closed position, short the power being produced by the charge coil to ground (black wire). This prevents charging of the capacitor and thus stops spark plug firing. Or so the manual says.If it is a magneto, like mine, it will be white wires coming from the primary ignition coils with a switch to a black (ground) wire, which shorts their output, thus preventing any current flow to either secondary ignition coil and stopping spark plug firing.

Where your stop switch is,you will find the white wire,it runs to the switch-box/CDI.
Splice your new wire,preferably white,to it and run it to one side of your toggle switch.Attach another,black, to keep the colour codes for this Yamaha/Mariner right,to any part of the block to create your ground/earth.When your toggle switch is activated it shorts and kills the motor.

Attachments

• Mariner stop switch.jpg
    Mariner stop switch.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,987
Wrong pic.Follow the white wire to where it is easier accessed.

Attachments

• Mariner Block two.jpg
    Mariner Block two.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 3,114
  • Back of Mariner Block two.jpg
    Back of Mariner Block two.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,477
Back