Logo

How to replace broken shift handle on Nissan 5 HP?

Dexter Morgan

Hi all,
I have a Nissan 5 HP, two stroke (NS5B I think)* that got laid over onto the shift handle and broke it off. I got ambitious a couple of years ago and sent away for a new one and also got the gasket for under the power head, that I was told I would need.
I'm feeling ambitious again and want to replace it. I see several bolts that go down from the top of the case around the power head and also some that go up from below.* I was hoping that someone else has already done this job before and might give me some advice and pointers on how to do it and what not to do.* I also see that the shift rod that connects to the inside part of the handle, goes down and connects to another where the rubber plug is on the side of the shaft or downward housing.
Also is this job more easily done with the motor vertical on a mount, or laying on its side?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Dexter

I would recommend you refer to a Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me. The power head will need to be removed, via the 6mm bolts (10mm heads) accessible from below. After the head is off, you will find a lever attached to the inside of the shift handle. That is coupled to the shift rod and retained to the rod by a cotter. Did you also get the o-ring for the handle?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information and quick reply. I saw the parts pictured in a diagram and doesn't look too hard to change. Now that I know how it comes apart, I'll have at it. I was afraid there might be a Jesus pin involved. You know, the kind that goes flying across the garage to who knows where, never to be found again, as you yell out "Jesus"!
I didn't get any (O) rings but if needed I can probably find something at an auto parts store that will work. So, after removing those bolts the whole ball of wax will just lift off, eh?
Thanks again and I will post about my success or lack there of.
Regards,
Dexter

Of course there are the requisite linkages and wires that need to be taken into account, but yes, that's all there is to it.

I will probably do it over the weekend. I started sanding paint chips and also sanded the prop down to bare metal. Would you know what kind of paint the original is ? Is that lacquer, enamel or what?
I saw some Dupil-Color at Pep Boys that was a pretty close match. I believe that stuff is lacquer so don't think I can use enamel primer.. I'm wondering if it will eat up the factory job.
What say ye?

Well, I did some work on it and managed to get the head off after removing the 6 bolts from the bottom. I had my doubts at first. I tugged every which way from Sunday and thought something else had to be holding it. I finally got her to break loose. I don't know what they use for gasket sealer but I spent well over an hour trying to get all of that crap off of both sides without gouging the aluminum. I got the broken shifter stub out with no problem and got lucky with the (O) rings. They were both in fine shape and not a hint at breaking or cracking while removing and reinstalling them on the new shifter. After some more clean-up I'll put her back together and do some more sanding, priming and painting. The prop is all primered and ready for some paint.
Thanks again for your right-on advice and help.

Regards,
Dexter

I will probably do it over the weekend. I started sanding paint chips and also sanded the prop down to bare metal. Would you know what kind of paint the original is ? Is that lacquer, enamel or what?
I saw some Dupil-Color at Pep Boys that was a pretty close match. I believe that stuff is lacquer so don't think I can use enamel primer.. I'm wondering if it will eat up the factory job.
What say ye?
The Factory paint is available from any dealer, including me.

The Factory paint is available from any dealer, including me.

Hi Gentlemen - Terrible day yesterday, it shouldn't even count on the calendar. I have a 2003 5hp Nissan outboard NSF5A2S, well I had a guy that was supposed to buy the motor and dinghy from me today but when I was testing out the motor it fell off the horse and smashed on the ground, busted the upper cover and the shift lever right in half. The motor is clean.

First Question - is it worth buying the lever and trying to repair the cover? Cover has a hole busted in it but maybe I can repair with a plastic repair kit, haven't been able to find a replacement cover anywhere online.

Second Q - I see the shift lever was replaced on this thread. I am not mechanical really but I am sure I can learn. Doesn't sound like a hard job? All of this to only try and sell it, is it worth it? It is a clean motor.

Yes, it's worth it to install a new shift lever. Otherwise, the motor is scrap.
You need to pull the power head. The linkage is inside. You will also need 2 new o-rings for the shaft of the shift handle.
Cowls are expensive; see if you can repair yours.

thanks for the reply.....so the power head is the whole engine block I am guessing? Just a few bolts? Yea, think I can maybe try to repair the cover with a plastic repair kit or something.

If you could figure out how to get inside the driveshaft housing without pulling the motor off the top, you would make millions.
002-21046-3_FIG09.jpg

The 5B has a casket for the head pipe. and also 2 oil seals at the driveshaft. There is also a drive shaft housing gasket. They are all available.

Back