Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default 1973 65hp mercury doesnt get spark to plugs, motor turns over, no start

Motor looks brand new. Is this motor worth repairing. Do they typically have problems. I am new to this.

Default Re: 1973 65hp mercury doesnt get spark to plugs, motor turns over, no start

is this motor one you have owned for a while and used it and got good past performance?this has nothing to do with firing but the very first thing i would check is the compression before i decided to spend any money on it or not...what you have is a 3 cylinder with only 2 carbs...

Default Re: 1973 65hp mercury doesnt get spark to plugs, motor turns over, no start

I got this motor last year. Compression is good.

Ireland,the only country in the world you can go North to go South

http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/1966ona/29.jpg The brown wire is the tach sig. The mercury tilt switch,which stops you from starting the engine while it is tilted, is the the only kill circuit on this old an outboard,apart from turning the key off, unless it was fitted retrospectively.
    Disconnect the tilt switch,see if you get spark,are the plugs getting wet?

I've tried everything you gentleman have suggested. I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the distributor. I understand they can be quite expensive. i really appreciate all the help I have given so far.

I might have a crack in the cap. what do you think. thanx for your reply and help.

Do you get spark coming out of the ignition coil ?

yes, spark coming out of the ignition coil

Will that spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more ?-----Is the carbon contact ok in the distruibutor cap ?----The rotor may be bad and grounded to the rotor shaft ( check with an ohmeter ) and I do not believe the rotor can be replaced.---Rotor is part of the shaft.------------Used parts may be available and it depends a great deal on where you are located.

Thankyou racerone and the rest of you gentleman. You have been agreat help. I hope i can find parts for a reasonable price. On a fixed income, so i will see what I can scrounge. Thanx again.

Ireland,the only country in the world you can go North to go South

Thankyou haventaclue. You have been a great help.

If you're getting spark at the coil, but not at the plugs, you might have a bad carbon in hte distributor cap. Remove the band, drop the cap, and see if the carbon in the center of the cap is still there (and springs back when you push on it).

Jeff

Jeff, thankyou for tyhe advice. This is the first time I've had so much help on a thread. Looking to get this motor working safely and properly. Will be used for the Boy Scouts when does. All you guys are pretty cool. thanx again