Logo

Drive shaft seals

DE:1

02 Mecury 40hp 2cyl. I would like to replace drive shaft seals andI want to know if I can remove old ones and press in new ones without removing water pump base. Maybe just the neoprene seal if possible. I dont want to have to remove drive shaft. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are talking about the two seals (set against each other) directly under the water pump plate, but above the base (kinda cone around the shaft), then the answer is yes (but not according the service manual).

The seals can be picked out, with a bit of care, if you take your time (don't slip with a screwdriver and score up the case - a seal (picker) is alot safer).

I have reseated the new seals using a socket (slipped over the driveshaft - drive shaft slips through the hole where the handle would go on a 3/4" drive socket) that's big enough to catch the outer edge of the seals, but still small enough to fit down in the (race) and then putting as even pressure as possible to press the seals in straight.

Those two are exactly what I was talking about. I was told I could pry up on the carrier that hold the seals. Replace the seals then replace the carrier. Might be safer to do it your way. Thanks.

Back