Logo

1989 Evinrude water pump replacement

While replacing the water pump, the small pin fell out of the old pump - where does it go? Also, after removing the old pump, I noticed below the impellor plate housing a seal appears to be falling apart - do you know what this is, and how do I replace it?

The pin drives the impeller.---Look at the groove in the new impeller.-----Hold the pin in place ( use grease ) on the flat of the driveshaft.-------Intall the impeller. -Verify that pin is driving the impeller.----Lower the housing in place while turning the driveshaft in the direction of engine rotation.--------------Picture of seal is required to determine if bad or not. Those seals rarely " fall apart " and are you sure it is not sediment / mud on there that is cracked and fooling you ?

The pin drives the impeller.---Look at the groove in the new impeller.-----Hold the pin in place ( use grease ) on the flat of the driveshaft.-------Intall the impeller. -Verify that pin is driving the impeller.----Lower the housing in place while turning the driveshaft in the direction of engine rotation.--------------Picture of seal is required to determine if bad or not. Those seals rarely " fall apart " and are you sure it is not sediment / mud on there that is cracked and fooling you ?

when I checked the seal carefully with a screw driver, it was hardened and I could see metal , like it was worn through;also, the water kit had a bearing sent with it, but I didn't see where it went

Back