Logo

2000 90hp Honda on lift unstarted for 3 years...what to expect

SteveHood

Hello all, new to the forum.

Was able to buy a 20'* 2000 sweetwater pontoon boat with a Honda 4 stroke 90hp motor.

The boat has been on a lift out of the water for 3 years and has not been started in that time. From the service records, general condition of the boat, and what I could visibly see, it was well taken care of by the elderly couple who owned it. When they were using it, (Boat has an 2009 sticker on it) they apparently used it very sparingly as it looks almost brand new and the motor was winterized by the dealer after their last season of use.

Very hesitant about buying a boat without starting the engine but the sellers are good friends of my nephew and the price was great.

What should I expect from a Honda motor that has sat for 3 years? Should I even try to start it with new plugs, fresh gas, and generous WD40 and fogging or just take it to a dealer? Any tips will be appreciated.

Owner says motor never had trouble, provided all service records (looks like they had a dealer start it, winterize it, and perform all required maintenance each year) and even if the motor turns out to be dead, price on boat was good enough that I wouldn't mind going out to get a new motor if I had to-just hoping we can get this one going again.

P.S. I'm just a dad looking to take kids fishing, not an engine mechanic by any means.

Thanks!

I would be inclined to check the oil levels first.
if all is good, charge up the battery and fire it up.
from the model year I assume it is fuel injected and not carbureted ?

Thanks for the reply. It does have carbs. Boat is on a lift so not sure how safe working over water will be (more from the standpoint of dropping things as opposed to falling in)Was hoping to get it started and then run in gently down the river in order to get to a boat ramp about 6 miles away.

Nephew is suggesting that if we get it running we take it all the way home and not spend the on a trailer but its about a 3 1/2 hr trip.

As long as it starts and runs good, is using it for that long (after sitting so long) bad for the motor? Or is it simply "if it works-it works" and go for it?

Thanks again everyone!

If its a carbed model, hopefully the service tech drained the bowls before it was put to bed.
thats the biggest problem with these , gummed up jets and passages.
if she's a rough runner after it warms up, your carbs will need a rebuild.

The one thing I would caution you about concerning the extended passage after such a long lay up would be the water pump's condition. If the engine were properly winterized before lay up, I would simply want to know that I had fresh gas and that the engine oil was changed and at the proper level. With that, I would not hesitate to fire her up and take her for a short spin.

However, even a new pump impeller will not take kindly to setting for such a long period. The rubber composite vanes tend to dry up and become brittle. There is the danger of them cracking at the base and coming off. This could leave you stranded on an extended trip with an overheating engine. If it were me, I would NOT take the boat out for a long run without replacing the water pump.

The other consideration here is the transmission gear oil. I agree with you that working on an outboard over the water just invites trouble and dropped/lost tools and equipment. But, I would STRONGLY recommend that you KNOW what the gear oil level and condition is prior to taking the outboard out on a long trip.

My guess is that you have just made a really, really good purchase on a pretty sweet, reliable recreational toy. Don't mess it up by doing something ill advised right out of the start gate.

Ditto on Professor Jimmy's advice, above. Get it out of the water, change the oil, change the lower unit oil, replace water pump impeller, drain fuel and add new non-ethanol fuel (with stabilizer), pull and inspect/change plugs, pull and test thermostat. If the battery is more than five years old, replace it. Make sure your VHF radio is in good working order, then take it for a good run.

Thanks for the tips guys! Just found out its actually a 2001 Honda 90hp 4 stroke (still has the carbs though)

Not going to take the chance of a long trip-just gonna take it easy to the ramp, get it trailered, and pay an expert to do the work as described above. Now I just have to get rid of my old "sanford and son" pontoon with the picnic-table bench seats and plastic chairs-lol.:cool:

A wise choice. I don't know about where you are, but pontoon boats are at a premium out my way so I would expect finding a new home for your "S&S" model shouldn't be all that hard as soon as the weather starts to warm up.
Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you make out....on both fronts.

Back