Logo

4.3 bogs down

duckhunter185

Contributing Member
Hi, my boat runs fine at idles and as long as you dont throttle up too fast it does fine. If you Throttle up too fast it wants to bog out untill you back off the throttle then it lines out....Timing or carb out of sync? Its a 4.3 mercruiser. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

agreed!!

WHat you describe is typically known as an ACCELERATOR pump issue. the pump "umbrella" does not move the fuel as fast as it should when the throttle linkages are activated due to it not sealing properly in the fuel well it resides in. Very common problem...

If you or someone you know can do a quick rebiuld of the carb then do so. There should be a tag on the carb with a multi digit part number. recoed that and purchase a kit for that carb. Also there is a extra thick base gasket for that carb so be sure to ask for that also

maybe someone can chime in with a part number for it........

Follow the mfgr's. specs. closely. I take notes, a video and pictures as I disassemble the carb since I don't do them that often. Then I reassemble it in front of a large flat screen TV. Don't reuse gaskets or other soft parts. I like to use new spark plugs when firing it after a rebuild to see what the combustion mixture shows on a clean plug; i.e., tan/brown is excellent, white is too lean and black/sooty is to rich. I also lube all pivot points and bushings w/a light machine oil...10-20 wt. elec. motor oil works well. I adjust the idle mixtures w/a vacuum guage. You'll need to open a plug in the intake and install a nipple for that.

Just for future reference

when posting a question include as much if not every piece of info in your post so we do not WAISTE time on wrong answers.

Back