Logo

stalling & smoking

rnagri

recently, after starting my outboard,it will smoke excessively and will also sometimes stall 2 or 3 times when i shift into gear. this happens usually after i`ve been fishing for a while and restart to go to another area. it`s a 1988 force 125. i`ve had it since it was new. could this happen because the gas, oil mixture is too high? would "non foulers" help? it uses surface gap spark plugs. THANKS.

Didn't like the answers on the other forum? :) Ask yourself???How much oil am i mixing? Cheapo oil? Right procedure for adding/mixing oil? I add 1 pint of oil and then put in 6 gal.gas, more oil and then more gas. It's better to smoke a bit than have too little oil. Also, have you ever de-carb'd the motor? Mercury's Powertune, or Seafoam can remove any carbon buildup. It probably won't help with the smoke but will stop rings siezing and piston failure.(too much smoke/oil= carbon'd rings)

Thanks Jerry, I`ll try what you suggest. I have been using cheap oil! i`ll use " Quicksilver" to see if it makes a difference. Could this cause the stalling when I shift into gear after startup?

Thanks Jerry, I`ll try what you suggest. I have been using cheap oil! i`ll use " Quicksilver" to see if it makes a difference. Could this cause the stalling when I shift into gear after startup?;)

Have you checked the compression?
And use Quicksilver PLUS, if you can find it. This motor needs all the help it can....I have the same one. Also switch your plugs from the surface gap plugs to the normal kind. That made a difference for me. Stopped fouling plug four, which caused an intermittent miss.......

Stalling at slow speed??? The rpm's should be up around 750-800 in gear.In the driveway,1200.The tachs on boats are not the best. Make sure yours is right.

I`ve considered using the normal type plugs, but I`m worried that the bottom of the plug (the hook on the end of it) will extend into the top of the cylinder and damage the piston! Am I right or wrong? thanks. p.s, I`ve never done anything to the engine except winterize it, and occasionally change the impeller !!!

Last edited:
I've used the perma=gaps for as long as I've owned my boat, NEVER had trouble with them.In fact I've used some of these plugs for over 10 years.The PG plugs don't wearout like the other type. Just take them out and wirebrush them or even scotchbrite. There is enough room for the electrode. Unless you get a plug that is way too long. Measure it against the old. The only extra length should be the electrode. Someone suggested a compression test??? You do that???What's the results???

I've used the perma=gaps for as long as I've owned my boat, NEVER had trouble with them.In fact I've used some of these plugs for over 10 years.The PG plugs don't wearout like the other type. Just take them out and wirebrush them or even scotchbrite. There is enough room for the electrode. Unless you get a plug that is way too long. Measure it against the old. The only extra length should be the electrode. Someone suggested a compression test??? You do that???What's the results???

I checked online, and from what I understand, "surface gap" and "perma gap" plugs are one & the same. I`ve been using these plugs since i`ve owned my boat.

No need to guess here whether piston will hit the plug.----Bring piston to the top and measure.----Then measure sparkplug.------Compare and see if there is enuff room.--My bet says there is room for conventional plugs.

Back