Logo

Starter Problem

the snake

I have a 1984 Wellcraft 230 Aft with a 350 mercruiser. When I hit the ignition switch all it does is click at the Starter. I have checked the ground wires and cleaned them all seem to be ok. It sounds like it is clicking at the selonoid. Any way to be able to check to see if it is the selenoid or starter without tearing the starter out.

I have a 1984 Wellcraft 230 Aft with a 350 mercruiser. When I hit the ignition switch all it does is click at the Starter. I have checked the ground wires and cleaned them all seem to be ok. It sounds like it is clicking at the selonoid. Any way to be able to check to see if it is the selenoid or starter without tearing the starter out.

Ayuh,... Ya might try jumperin' it, but it's a 'ell of alot easier to work on, on the bench...

There are two solenoids, the slave and the starter.

The slave is typically at the front top left of the engine.

To test either solenoid do this. *****remove the key from the ignition******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no key for this test!!!!!!

get a two connection momentary toggle switch connect two 12 guage wires (~24 inches long) one to each terminal and connect a alligator clip one to each wire or buy a remote starter (from a local auto store)

Connect one lead to a battery + or on the slave solenoid to the big terminal with 12 volts present all the time. connect the other lead to the yellow with red stripe. Activate switch. See what happens.

On the starter solenoid, connect one lead to Battery + or the large stud with the battery wire connected to it, connect the other lead to the small post with the yellow with red stripe, activate the switch, What happens?

If nothing happens but you hear a click form either solenoid, do this.

*****use extreme caution********* I repeat *****use extreme caution*********

On the slave solenoid, connect one lead each to the two top large terminals. ACTIVATE THE SWITCH FOR A SECOND OR TWO ONLY!!!!!!

THIS IS A HIGH CURRENT CONDITION AND COULD MELT THE WIRES IF DONE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.

This will bypass the solenoid, What happens?

If the starter does not work at this point then either the starter solenoid is defective or the starter.

remove starter and repair.......

remove the sparkplugs and see if the motor will turn over....you may have water in a cylinder causing a hydraulic lock up

When removing the starter bolts don't torque on the bolts if they are tight and not budging. If you snap a bolt off you'll have to pull the engine to fix it. You can use a Kobalt 1/16" or 3/32" drill bit and drill a hole thru the engine block down to the bolt threads and squirt a penetrating lubricant into the hole to free the bolt. Use a center punch to start the drill bit.

We are getting ahead of ourselves. Check the slave solenoid first as stated above by KGHOST. If that checks out to be good, then go down the list of suggestions.

Back