Logo

Nissan 6hp prop performance

Elkjunkie

I have a 2011 Nissan 6hp with a 7.8x7 prop.
The 6hp Nissan is mainly used while trolling on my 17' Maxum with a 120hp Force main outboard engine.
My boat is quite heavy so of course the 6hp is not strong enough to get the boat up on plane.
I have on occasion had to return to the ramp using the 6hp Nissan when I have had problems with the main outboard not starting.
Will changing the prop to a 7.8x8 size give me more speed than the current 7.8x7 prop should I have to use the 6hp if the main engine will not start or does the added thrust from the 7.8x7 result in the best non-planning speed?
How will changing the prop to the 7.8x8 size affect the trolling performance?

Thanks for your advice.
Michael

Last edited:
You are operating in displacement mode, instead of planing mode. Because of the high weight and low power, going to a lower pitch might help some, allowing the 6 hp motor to come up to proper WOT RPM, and hence develop the full 6 hp. Changing props will not make a huge difference in top speed, as you are "hitting the wall" of hp against load, but if you do want to try a different prop, I would suggest 399B645121 PROP 4/5/6HP, 8.375" DIA X 6" PITCH (ELEPHANT EAR), available from any dealer, including me.

Paul's advice is alwas great ! I will be running a "high thrust" prop on the same motor ...They work great ! and steerage is also improved ...

let us know how this works in your situation ...

Paul,

Thank you.

Is it possible you would know how the 8.375 x 6 would affect my trolling speed??
Depending on species my trolling speed is 2 to 4 mph SOG.

Michael

Any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer (including myself) can provide you with the prop. They retail for about $83.00. Figure "it fits, it ships" of about 15 additional.

Back