Logo

2001 Yamaha 150 will not stay running...help

Krmrjr

Hi all,
I have a Yamaha 150 2 stroke. For the past few months the engine would bog down when run at high rpm's. I figured the carbs needed to be cleaned, but just never got around to it. I tried to start it a couple days ago and nothing. I get it to turn over but only after I've choked it a few times and have the throttle down about half way. It will run rough for a bit then slowly die. I took the carbs off, cleaned (were not bad ) and rebuilt with new gaskets. I changed the battery, checked the spark plugs. The primer ball gets nice a tight. I took the fuel filter off and found a small amount of water. I do not have a water separator, but the amount of water was very small and have never had a problem with it before. I tried to start it on a remote gas tank thinking the problem could be with the boats gas tank, but got the same results. I'm all out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Any water in the fuel is a big deal. You may have found a small amount, while the carbs may be filled with it. Water does not burn :) Fix that problem first by installing a fuel/water filter. Purge the carbs and make sure you have good fuel going to them. Then try it again. Are you sure the fuel in the remote tank does not have the same problem? They are notorious for water (the way they are filled, condensation). Bogging down at high rpms is never a good thing. Have you checked compression and spark first? I got a little ahead of myself. These checks should be first.

Back