Logo

6 Hp 4 Stroke Carb ?

I do some repairs on small outboards but , can only do so much so I cleaned this one up made needed repairs ran it and then sold it ...It runs pretty good but NO motor is perfect so I told the buyer I'd check for answers from the experts ...

So here you go ...

"Actually, I have 1 question you may know the answer to. When I change gears (F/N/R) the motor tends to stall (when the load changes), come off plane quickly, etc. I took the carb apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner (spray can). I noticed with the slow speed jet that there seems to be a check ball in there- is that normal, or it it clogged? The main jet is clear.

I also noticed that the top line coming off the carb (not a fuel line)- it runs across the top of the head, back to the oil side, has a small hole in it- could that be my issue from a lack of pressure?

Ive looked online quite a bit, but figured you may be able to answer straight away. Thanks so much for any help you can provide-
"

Something is odd. There isn't any check ball anywhere in a 4/5/6 hp Tohatsu carb. Proper cleaning requires a 4-hour soak in real carb dip, then a spray-out with generic carb spray. The spray alone is not aggressive enough to clear the organic deposits in and of itself. No, damage to the breather would not cause stalling, but might lead to some oil residue on the outside of the motor.

Odds are the oil level is too high.

After a thorough cleaning... Be 100% sure to run the carb out at the end of each and every day to reduce varnishing residue buildup.

Back