Logo

120 valve adj.

wizard43844

i posted a while back about correct prop for 120 mercruiser, turns out i was way down on compression in 2 cylinders, got a new head and need to know how much valve lash,.. or are they hyd. lifters with zero clearance ??? thanks..

............ got a new head and need to know how much valve lash,.. or are they hyd. lifters with zero clearance ??? thanks..
This engine will use hydraulic cam followers.
We're not actually adjusting valves, per 'se, we're setting the plunger depth within the hydraulic follower.

In it's normal state, the plunger is mildly spring loaded, of which brings the plunger to the top of it's travel within the follower body. With the rocker arm just making valve stem contact, and while the plunger is ** topped out, this is "zero" lash.
(** later the plunger will be down within the follower body, but zero lash will still be maintained hydraulically)

Through the geometry of the rocker arm ratio, the rocker arm stud thread pitch, and the stud nut adjustment (i.e., turns "past zero"), the plunger depth becomes set correctly as per the OEM.

See your OEM service manual for the adjustment value past zero lash.

CE327200FG0010.gif

See this animation that shows how the hydraulic principle works

I've had trouble with this animation stopping part way through it.
Just take your cursor and move it over the progress bar, and it should continue.

Last edited:
Kghost, all due respect to you and your knowledge.

I could never bring myself to recommend a 2 stop procedure.... especially when we're only two additional stops away from a 4 stop procedure for a 4 cylinder engine.

Start with #1 cylinder @ TDC C/S...... ( must be on C/S )
Adjust both #1 cylinder intake and exhaust.

Move to #3 @ TDC C/S.
Adjust both #3 intake and exhaust, and continue right down the firing order.

If he'll use the 4 stop, he'll very likely not need to go back through these later.
Or... use the dynamic procedure..... it's pretty much goof proof also.

Last edited:
Back