Logo

Oil Leak on 2004 Merc 5.0 Alpha 1

skinut1

Contributing Member
I have a 2004 Glastron SX195 with a 5.0 Mercruiser and a Alpha 1 outdrive with 190 hrs on it. Brought it home for the winter and put it in garage and noticed an oil leak under outdrive. It is not the green gear oil but looks like engine oil. I also noticed a few times in the summer when it was on the boat lift in the dock that an oily film circle would be on the water behind the boat as I wiped it down. Not a big leak but a spot about as big as a paper towel after 2 monthes sitting. Maybe 2 tablespoons at the most. How does this oil get from the engine to the bottom of the outdrive and what could be the problem.
Farmboy looking for some help!
Thanks

Dripping out of the exhaust hub thru the prop? How is the engine oil level? Do you have to add oil sometimes?

I'd think that she'd be a real smoker in order for there to be enough oil in the exhaust system that would reveal itself at the drive "thru-prop" exhaust outlet!

Any other engine oil leak would need to somehow find it's way past a spinning flywheel (spelled centrifugal force), then past the drive coupler, through the Gimbal Bearing, then into and through the bellows, and who knows where from there........, in order to reach this area.

I'd drain the out drive oil, and perform a pressure/vacuum leak down test.

Although Merc debunks the vacuum test on this drive, IMO, I'd still do both Press/Vac.

Last edited:
It is not dripping from the exhaust thru the prop. It is dripping from the anode thing right below where you connect the speedo tube by the shift rod when you change the impeller. I don't understand it either. But I poured a little Merc gear lube that I use next to it on the floor just to make sure they were different and the gear lube was green and the other oil was clear. I don't guess I will worry about it this winter.
Thanks for the help Guyjg and RicardoMarine !!!

It is red. I thought about that too! Beats the heck out of me where it is coming from.
Thanks for all the help on this. Still scratching my head !!!

If you are absolutely, positive, without a doubt sure it is engine oil.

The oil leaking from the engine is leaking out the hull drain plug.

Line the bottom of a dry bilge with newspaper let sit and see where it is dripping from.

Say the engine is not dripping then it is a different oil.

Agreed ?

Post back we will go from there.

Back