Logo

What exactly do I have here on my new boat?

That would be a GM 4 cylinder engine.----With a 400 series outdrive.-----------These units are not welcome in most repair shops but if it has been maintained properly it might give you years of good service.

all I can add is it's 120HP and the 400 drive pictured is the hydromechanical shift type that was made from 1978 to 1981

Ok, you say it's hydromechanical shift type. what exactly does that mean? 1978-1981, the boat is a 1982. Also, is there a kit or distributor I can change to, to have HEI ignition instead of the points type to have worry free ignition? Thanks this info helps me to understand alot.

Ok, you say it's hydromechanical shift type. what exactly does that mean? 1978-1981, the boat is a 1982. Also, is there a kit or distributor I can change to, to have HEI ignition instead of the points type to have worry free ignition? Thanks this info helps me to understand alot.
I'm not at all into the OMC drives, so you OMC guys correct me if I'm wrong here.

Back in this era, OMC used two types of gear engagement.

One was an electric shift (aka gear engagement) whereby a coil unit caused the gear selection.
This can be seen in this view.

All three lower unit gears rotated simultaneously, and only when one "driven" gear was engage to the propeller shaft, would you have FWD or REV.

The other would have been "Dog Clutch" engagement.
Same thing.... all three lower unit gears rotated simultaneously, and only when one "driven" gear was engage to the propeller shaft, would you have FWD or REV.

Where the > "Hydro" < comes from.... I'm not sure! Perhaps nothing more than a marketing term.
However, in this view, part #35 is shown as a hydraulic pump unit. The image also shows a Dog Clutch gear arrangement.

Can you OMC guys enlighten me please?

Footbrake, I'll be brutally honest with you here by telling you a quick story.

I have a very good friend who owns and operates a marine salvage yard. He buys dead boats, has his crew dismantle them, and he sells the components.
He buys OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo Penta powered boats.
We are in an area whereby we'll see a fairly equal amount of each.

In pecking order, his sales go like this:

1. Bread & Butter sales are OMC. IOW, his best money maker is OMC parts due to supply/demand.
  2. Second best is Mercruiser, and again, due to supply/demand.
  3. Least best is Volvo Penta.

There is a message here in the above.... perhaps not one that you were wanting to hear, but none-the-less, a message.

Suggestion:

Examine the stringers to make certain that they are not in need of major repair.
Get the engine running with the existing ignition system, and further test the drive.
Find out what/which parts may be in need of replacement or service.

Only after convincing yourself that this is a cost effective project, would I proceed.

Last edited:
Hydromechanical lower units used from 1978-1981, employ a hydraulic shift assist plunger in the lower unit. A pump in the lower unit pumps gear oil and the plunger helps move the shift dogs.
They are particularly sensitive to water in the lower unit so check gear oil every trip before and after. Water will rust and seize the plunger. OMC removed many of the hydro-assist lowers under warranty back in the day and replaced them with full mechanical shift units which were introduced in 1982 and used until the 400 and 800 stringer drives were discontinued in 1985.

You can very easily convert to "HEI" or electronic distributor by buying the Delco Voyager unit for the 2.5/3.0 engines.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-120.html
30Distkit_001LG.gif

Last edited:
I have a 1972 SeaSwirl. Probably the same setup. See my posts about some of the issues I have had. Number #1 check the motors mounts, my were waterlogged and I had replace all of it. I have had an electronic ignition installed. The exhaust manifold can be a problem especially if iwasn't drained during the winter. They crack with hairline cracks. I have replced the impellor and the impeller shaft wit the bearings. My boat was actually in good shape. The engine has 115 lbs on each of the four cylinders. So far I am pleased. This forum has helped immensly if you give them all the details and information such as year serail number etc etc...if you don't good luck.......
I also have an electronic shift. I don't have any of the problems but I seem to take care of it as well......

<<.-----------These units are not welcome in most repair shops >>

Are you on dope? What a hell of a thing to say.

You seem to speak for " most " repair shops, but you have your head in the sand!!!

Port Rowan Marina ( Port REowan Ontario) repairs older OMC with NO questions. Ask for Randy !!!

Get a grip.

Footbrake you have been given correct info regarding the drive and engine in the pictures.

You need a manual, Seloc # 3600 in the right hand corner will do.

If your mechanically inclined your setup can be sound and last for many more years.

In the right hands the stringer drive has many good points.

Need any help just post away we all here will help.

<<.-----------These units are not welcome in most repair shops >>

Are you on dope? What a hell of a thing to say.

You seem to speak for " most " repair shops, but you have your head in the sand!!!

Port Rowan Marina ( Port REowan Ontario) repairs older OMC with NO questions. Ask for Randy !!!

Get a grip.
Get a grip? What does that mean?
A grip on reality of the old OMC Stringer Drives?
Footbrake did say; "and I welcome any info about my unit".

Sure.... you can find shops who are willing to work on them, and they can repair just about any aspect of them.
But believe me, they see dollar signs when you bring an old Stringer Drive through the door.

I don't necessarily disgree in that these can be made to give good service and for years. But in reality, these drives are not desireable today......... hence my suggestion of getting the engine operational, test the drive, and only then take it from there.
If it pencils out to be cost effective to get all working correctly..... then go for it.

With your reply previous, I wouldnt ask you for anything.
You appear to be taking this personally!

Footbrake started this thread, and he's asking for opinions, and that's what these are.... opinions.
My opinion just happens to be rather unfavorable based on my years doing Marine repair and having been around boats for many years.
I see no reason to be anything but honest with him, and I can only do so from my perspective!

I'm sure that he'd be interested in hearing other opinions as well.

Last edited:
Long time lurker here, corsair23, I've noticed that RicardoMarine edits all his posts when he is called out.

Its sad to change/delete some words to save yourself. :(

Let's see.... on Mr. Filp Flop's first post he comes in to a thread where RicardoMarine has just posted.
It would appear that his agenda is to follow RicardoMarine and to stir the pot only!
My hunch is that this must Mr. Dysfunctional himself, who once again snuck into ME.com under the wire.

Will there ever be a time when you actually contribute something to a thread? :mad:

Yes, the edit feature is great at times. It offers us a chance to come back and make a change to something that we may have missed first time around after having posted.
Often these edits occur prior to the following post(s).

Why look right here........ I see that you also did an edit.
Last edited by Filp Flop; Today at 05:56 AM. Reason: got booted from the internet

images

And if the OP is nowhere near this wonderful shop? The newest stringer is 37 years old, his unit out of production for over 40, and the manufacturer has been completely out of business about 12, which may be the reason not just any shop can/will work on 'em. Don't you think the OP deserves a little reality along with plentiful personal opinion ... :rolleyes:

1. No i think he should have asked first what our opinion is before buying.
  2. One post and he's a expert.

1. Agreed, but a little too late now.
  2. If talking about Filp Flop, some of us know that Filp Flop is actually W, who once again snuck in under the wire, and as usual has nothing to add to a thread..... and never has. :mad: If you'll notice, he can't even spell "Flip" correctly. :eek:

What a waste of our time, and apparently his time is worth very little to him.

Last edited:
No i think he should have asked first what our opinion is before buying.

Not sure why you would think that, but it didn't happen. Perhaps he'll feel compelled to do so in the future. I feel so alone, how many posts does it take before I can have an opinion that won't immediately draw the ire of 'da boyz' ... :(

No i think he should have asked first what our opinion is before buying.

Not sure why you would think that, but it didn't happen. Perhaps he'll feel compelled to do so in the future. I feel so alone, how many posts does it take before I can have an opinion that won't immediately draw the ire of 'da boyz' ... :(
I don't believe that the comment was directed towards you. I think that the comment was being directed towards Filp Flop, who can't even spell "flip".

None of us began our experience the day that we joined an online forum. Quite the contrary, IMO.
As for Post Counts .......... don't be fooled by that. Post counts only represent the time that you've spent offering help or suggestions to others...... or perhaps babbling for some.
The quality of the posts are what count.

Filp Flop is a poor soul who has nothing better to do than to disrupt these threads with childish nonsense.
Then he gets banned, uses another IP address and gets in under the radar and goes at it again, until once again being banned.
He's been banned here several times already, and many more times on another forum.

He's like dandruff..... he keeps coming back when the Head 'n Shoulders wears off! :D

And if the OP is nowhere near this wonderful shop? The newest stringer is 37 years old, his unit out of production for over 40, and the manufacturer has been completely out of business about 12, which may be the reason not just any shop can/will work on 'em. Don't you think the OP deserves a little reality along with plentiful personal opinion ... :rolleyes:

Give it a rest, troll. I found a shop that WILL ...GLADLY work on OMC. The posters geographical living arangement has nothing to do with it. I have PERSONALLY talked with this Shop.

You, have contributed nothing.

Their are several former OMC dealers across the US and Canada that will gladly work on these engines/drives and have parts new and used. I know several the you can ship them a drive in a box and they will rebuild it for you and return it. By the way OMC used two different shifting styles in the 400/800 drive, origional was a Hydro mechanical witch was a hydrolic assisted chutch dog style, the later design was a mechanical clutch dog design. The spring shown was used in the (club Foot) electric shift units, never in a 400/800 housing.

In the east you have Doug Russel. I have one of the last 86' vintage ( actually a 85' ) in a 86' boat. I actually prefer it to the cobra---alpha.

I could have changed over by glassing the hole but i stayed with my Stringer.

So allow me to explain my comment.

A person asks should i buy a stringer drive boat, i would reply no...OMC is out of business some parts are nla.

A person needs help fixing a stringer i will offer everything i learned freely to help out.

So allow me to explain my comment.

A person asks "should i buy a stringer drive boat?", i would reply no... OMC is out of business some parts are nla.

A person needs help fixing a stringer i will offer everything i learned freely to help out.
I fully agree..... those are both very fair comments.

However, in footbrake's post #1, he actually asked neither of those questions. He simply wanted to ID his engine/drive.

I was among the first to suggest that he look closely at what he has, before spending money on this boat.
That's about the time when I offered my "I'll be brutally honest with you" comments!

Footbrake, good luck to you! It may turn out to be a great little boat.

IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0001.JPGThanks for all the feedback. When I bought this boat I didn't know a stringer from a zinger. The man was the second owner and had it for 25 years, and was a mechanic that took care of things as needed. The boat was always garaged after use and he told me that if there were any problems when I fired it up in the spring to call him and he would take care of things for me. Seemed like a very honest man to me. I have done some work already to it, I've re done the front bow cushions cause they were in bad shape.

Also there was a soft spot in the floor right in front of the motor cover. On advise from some boat repair places on an older boat like this, instead of opening up the floor and opening a can of worms, we covered the floor in 3/4'' plywood and put a new rug in. Here are some shots of it. Thanks for all the help guys -Russ

Here's some pics of the floor going in

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0001.JPG