Logo

What Instrument Gauges can be hooked up to 703 Remote Conrol box?

newusedyamaha40

i just bought a bigger Yamaha, 1993 90hp 2-stroke Power Trim and tilt. It has a 703 Remote Control box. It did not come with any instruments but it looks like some wires are coming out of the 703 that must be for instrument gauges. I would like to hook up at least a Tachometer, but would like to hook up some more gauges, especially any gauges that would not require an additonal sender?

There are several wires, what all gauges can i hook up, analog is fine and no-combo is fine i have some empty holes to fill up in dash? Like i said i would at least like a tach if nothing else, but maybe also oil pressure and/or temperature and/or trim level or what else can hook up to the 703 wires? And which wires go to which gauges?

Thanks very much!
tom

I just put a new 703 Remote Control Box with a 10 pin harness and installed an analog tach (tach type depends on the number of poles). There were three wires together (red, green, and black). Red is 12V power (may need to power from the existing switch wire - yellow), black is ground, and green is the signal from the engine. Hooked up with no problems, but mine is a 1999 F25. Somebody should be able to tell you whether that would work for you.

Thank you very much Keeela,
That is good to know. Attached is a pictures of the wires coming out of my 703. Perhaps the group of three Black/Green/Yellow are for the tach if i substitute my yellow for your red? If that is the case, do you know (or does anyone else know) what the other three wires are for Double-Yellow/Black/Pink?
Thanks again,
tom
703wires.jpg

I'm trying this again. I might have just sent the last reply off into the ether. Hope this clarifies a bit.

From my 703 the red wire is 12V but it is not switched from the ignition switch. My yellow is ignition switched and hooked to my clock and depth gauge.

I wanted to avoid the possibility of running the battery down if the ignition switch is off and the main battery switch is on from my stupidity or from having the anchor lights on overnight.

My Teleflex tach is wired sensor to 703 green, tach ground to 703 black, and tach power to the 703 yellow.

Check the powering of your 703 yellow. I do not have the other combination as you have describe. Perhaps they are for the trim/tilt?

Anyway, good luck

not to hi jack the trend but i just bought a 1996 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke electric start that same with a 703 remote control with key ignition. the Control unit has a 7 pin connector that connects the control unit to the motor and it also has the exact wires as shown in the picture above hanging out of the remote control. I want to use it as a kicker motor and i don't plan on having any gauges. The guy i bought it from didn't remember which wires connect to the battery. Can any one you please help, just need to know which wires connect to the battery? The motor ran fine when we started it with the emergancy pull cord and I'd like to try the electric start system

Well, as far as I know if the 9.9 has the matching 703 harness you should be able to connect the battery positive to the starter solenoid and the battery negative to a starter mounting bolt using standard battery cables and boots. When the engine is plugged into the 703 the remote should then switch the ignition system to on and the solenoid to start from the 703 switch/kill switch.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 9.9 electric start, but this is a commonly used scenario.

Keeela thanks for thte reply Sorry for another dumb question but are you saying that NO wires connect directly from the battery to any of the 7 wires shown above?

As far as I am aware the only direct power to the 703 box comes through the harness from the engine battery connection. You should be able to tell by looking at the harness connections within the engine cover.

OK then, i think i can be pretty sure that the 3 wires on the left (Black/Green/Yellow) are for a tachometer, only powered when the key is on by using the Yellow.
i have been googling the heck out of this subject and most of the articles i can find that mention a Pink wire claim either a trim gauge, or the majority seem to point to a temp/oil alarm. Does anyone out there know for sure what those wires are for? (Double-Yellow/Black/Pink) ? before i go buying gauges .... (reminder this is from 1993)
Thanks again,
tom
703wires.jpg

I am looking at my 703 control box manual (printed 1995) and can only find one pink wire common to three different configurations of the remote and it is listed for an overheat warning buzzer. I don't know if it will actually provide a temperature measurement reading.

ThanksYam50wiring.jpg I found this drawing somewhere. It looks like the battery is connected directly to the motor at #10 and #24 and the 7 loose wires from the remote are for trim, tach etc which I won't be using. Thanks all again for your response and patience

Thank you very much Keeela,
That is good to know. Attached is a pictures of the wires coming out of my 703. Perhaps the group of three Black/Green/Yellow are for the tach if i substitute my yellow for your red? If that is the case, do you know (or does anyone else know) what the other three wires are for Double-Yellow/Black/Pink?
Thanks again,
tom
View attachment 6313

I recently hooked one up, although the wires coming out of mine were different colors for some reason. Mine did not have the "yellow / black / pink" combination. Instead, it had a "red / blue / green" lead. This is for an external tilt / trim switch. I installed one at the front of my boat. Red or yellow is power to switch, and the other wires were for up and down (uses a 3 way momentary on / off switch) The other group of wires " yellow / green / black" are for tackometer and gauge cluster. Yellow is power to entire cluster (turns gauges on with the key), and the green was for the tach signal (plugs into back of tach). Black is ground, Which was not needed in my case.

Rich

Back