Logo

350 raw water pumps

Are you open to the idea of a crankshaft pump?

No belt tension side load that causes eventual Sherwood pump bearing wear/failure.
No deferred impeller maintenance due to Sherwood pump removal in order to access impeller.
One less drive belt and one less crankshaft pulley.
Mounts directly to the SBC crankshaft pulley via the three threaded bolt holes within the harmonic balancer.
Quick/easy access to the impeller.
Makes impeller removal for winter layup a piece of cake (this extends impeller life).

$160 or so, complete with new impeller.

jp1451_l.jpg

If not up for the idea....... take your Sherwood pump model number and do a Google search.

Last edited:
Sherwood offers the P-105
Very expensive compared to Jabsco or Johnson.

Johnson F5B-9 (standard volume) and F6B-9 (large volume).

jp1451_l.jpg

Jabsco will look and mount the same, but the cover uses six screws.
images

Sherwood E35 pumps are still readily available for about $400, but you can totaly rebuild it for half the price. Normally the housing back wall isn't hurt, and the cover plate and cam are part of the rebiuild. What makes you think you need to replace your whole pump?

I would assume going with a large volume is better, the prices are for Amazon: Price: $156.00. cheaper than I thought and I could
do away with the best and bracket. I could save another 1/2 pound...At $5.40 a gallon, every pound counts.

Thanks Rick!

Sherwood E35 pumps are still readily available for about $400, but you can totaly rebuild it for half the price. Normally the housing back wall isn't hurt, and the cover plate and cam are part of the rebiuild. What makes you think you need to replace your whole pump?

Good point! I have rebuilt my E35 pumps numerous times. My housings are over 35 years old and still pump water fine.

What keeps the pump from spinning with crank?

There is a rubber bushing isolated torque arm that is used to stabilized the pump body from any rotating force.

While I am not recommending this, I have been running both of my F5B-9 pumps without the torque arms since 04.
The pump's bearing and/or impeller would need to completely lock up in order for the body to spin with any significate force.

Does anyone have photos of how the Johnson F5B-9 or F6B-9 crankshaft pump would mount and plumb to a 2007 350 mag?

Attachments

• Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook 2 .jpg
    Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook 2 .jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook.jpg
    Johnson-F6B-9 for Doug Cook.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 121
  • SBC crankshaft pulley.jpg
    SBC crankshaft pulley.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Hamilton jet pump w crankshaft pump.jpg
    Hamilton jet pump w crankshaft pump.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 151
  • Johnson crankshaft pump Merc 6 2 Horizon .jpg
    Johnson crankshaft pump Merc 6 2 Horizon .jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Johnson crankshaft pump torque arm.jpg
    Johnson crankshaft pump torque arm.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Ok thanks. Yeah that seems a little risky running without the arm.

If that pump locks up and tears apart the inlet hose, your gonna have quite a leak.

Ok thanks. Yeah that seems a little risky running without the arm.
If that pump locks up and tears apart the inlet hose, your gonna have quite a leak.

I don't disagree with you.... and that's primarily why I said that I would not recommend it to anyone else.
If I was to lose one, I'd have an almost immediate over-heat situation, which would grab my attention pretty quickly.

I remove the impellers during winter layup, which allows me to examine the bearing condition.
I keep a very close eye on these pumps.

I do have the torque arms... but I just never installed them. I'll have to put them on my To-Do list!
Oh wait.... that's been on my list for some time now!;)

You know the shoe cobbler story..... his children have no shoes! :D

Last edited:
I bought rebuild kits from ebay for ~$110 ea, wish I had known about these beforehand! Great idea. And yes, the reverse engine is plumbed backwards.

Back