Logo

Evinrude 50hp, year of manufacture, 1972???

djcraig

Hi Guys,
I have just picked up a partially restored 50hp Evinrude for my boat to replace a tired old 35hp Chrysler.
About to do the usual, replace impeller, change lower end oil, etc.
But just wanting to double check year model. It is the old electric shift, (which has a problem selecting neutral, working on that) :confused:
The model number is 502730 and serial is A70878.
Any help or advice with this one will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

That would be a 1972 model.-----If it is not running it will be in forward gear,------It will not shift if it is not running ( no oil pressure )

That would be a 1972 model.-----If it is not running it will be in forward gear,------It will not shift if it is not running ( no oil pressure )

Ok, thanks, thought '72 was right.
It is running, just only selects forward or reverse, no neutral, so will start in forward, warm it up for about 30 secs, then it will select reverse, but wont go into neutral.
Im guessing either 1) bad neutral solenoid, 2) bad wiring to solenoid, or 3) (hopefully) someone has put the wrong oil in gearbox, as I have been told type C oil is hard to get these days and that they dont like anything else.
Will start with draining and flushing the gearcase, would petrol do to use as a flush? Leave it in a few hours, maybe overnight, then drain it again.
Petrol shouldn't hurt anything in there I don't think???

Find the wires that go to the lower unit ( blue and green) -------slide rubber boot back and disconnect the " knife " connecter.----Turn key to " on " and push nuetral button down.----Touch green wires together and see if there is a little spark.-------You can do ohm reading on the solenoids , they must read the same.---------Perhaps the nuetral connection has fallen of the switch.------Electric shift is simple and reliable too.------Just drain the oil and refill with type -C ( premium blend ) , no need to flush the lower unit.

Drained oil today to see how it was and it was BLLAAACCKK, and smelt burnt, terrible....
Are you sure a flush isn't in order? Seems a shame to put nice new (and expensive here) oil in while there may still be some of that seriously burnt stuff in there.
Will try the thing with the wires tonight, looking for a spark.
What should the solenoids ohm reading be? 5 - 6? Just a guess but seems likely.
Thanks again for your help,
Craig

Okay, did what you said, disconnected both wires turned key on in neutral, touched green wires back together and got a spark.
So what does that actually mean?

That means that 12 volts is being supplied to the nuetral solenoid as per the design.-----What ohm readings do you get on the 2 solenoids.-----Green to ground on the motor ?--Blue to ground on the motor ?-----------Gear oil even new smells bad, so just fill it with new proper oil !-----NOTE ---------If you are running on a hose in nuetral the prop may spin leading you to believe that it is gear when it is not in gear.---Try using a piece of wood to see if you can stop the prop.

Last edited:
Ok, it is measureing 3.8 ohms on both the green wire and the blue wire.
So I guess if it is sparking when wires touched together, both green in neutral and blue when reverse button is pressed, we can rule out a bad switch?
Wish I could find somewhere what the ohm reading should be.

In nuetral it should only spark on green to green.-----In reverse it should spark on both.----The fact that they both read the same means that the solenoids are both OK.---Me thinks that there is something wrong mechanically.-----When I put one of these together the final test is turning the driveshaft with a wrench ( special socket ) used.----It shifts to nuetral after about one turn of the driveshaft.----Then shifts to reverse after about 2 turns.-------Electric shift is wonderful / simple stuff if you understand how they work.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have said, in reverse it does spark on both.
Have posted the ohms reading question in the proper forum, hopefully someone may know what they should actually read.
Thanks racerone. :eek:

Awesome, so it looks like both solenoids are ok, as is the switch. Well, I will fill 'er up with the good oil, and see what happens!
Once again, thanks very much for your help and advise.

C

If you show patience and understanding I can help you.----If you start jumping up and down wanting " instant help " you will be on your own.

Back