Logo

3.0 milky oil

350rocket

I just picked up a 96 18' Bayliner with a 3.0. What would be a probable cause for milky oil? Manifold? Riser? The guy said it sat without the cover (but the cowl was on). I was just curious if there was something common I should look for before ripping things apart.
I drained the oil, changed the filter. I put a gallon of diesel in the engine, turned it over a few times, fired it up for about 3 seconds, and drained the diesel. I did this 3 times and finally put a fresh filter and oil in. Still a little cloudy but much better. The engine runs great. I plugged in the coil after turning it over and It fired right up after "tapping" the key. It actually surprised me.
Thanks.

If the boat took on water above the dip stick, water can get into the oil, otherwise typicaly it means it was not winterized propperly but on a 4 cylinder it is typically the water jacket under the manifold that cracks and water leaks out.

Also it can take 4 or so oil changes to get all water out of system.

If the oil level stays correct and no additional water is found (milky) after a few oil changes, then there is no issues

I just picked up a 96 18' Bayliner with a 3.0. What would be a probable cause for milky oil? Manifold? Riser? The guy said it sat without the cover (but the cowl was on). I was just curious if there was something common I should look for before ripping things apart.
I drained the oil, changed the filter. I put a gallon of diesel in the engine, turned it over a few times, fired it up for about 3 seconds, and drained the diesel. I did this 3 times and finally put a fresh filter and oil in. Still a little cloudy but much better. The engine runs great. I plugged in the coil after turning it over and It fired right up after "tapping" the key. It actually surprised me.
Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Odds are the block wasn't drained, 'n it Froze, which Cracks the block....

Where did the boat come from? Hopefully no where near where Sandy hit. I have looked a lot of boats people want to purchase here on the Jersey Shore, 90% were under water.

Where did the boat come from? Hopefully no where near where Sandy hit. I have looked a lot of boats people want to purchase here on the Jersey Shore, 90% were under water.

Ok I take a big block bravo 1 combo if they will just let me come and pick it up!! Sign it over to me and off I will go....just want the guts!

Not interested in the boat unless it is a real sweat one. prfferably under 24 ft and noncuddy.

It might be time to upgrade my boat to something a little bit more fun!!

Its local from coastal NC. They guy flushed the system with antifreeze in October before putting it up. I even see the antifreeze residue on the outdrive. Since the oil is milky, I *think* is was ran/started with the water in it. Otherwise oil and water would come out instead of the milkshake and the dipstick was coated with milky residue. It wasn't that bad, but enough to know it's not good. The oil (milk) level was just a hair above "full" on the dipstick. So I am trying to figure out where the water would come from assuming the block is fine.

I also know enough not to believe everything from a seller trying to get rid of a boat.

How do I pressure test the engine?

Back