Logo

Volvo 2003 running cold

Philip Auger

We have a 1986 Volvo 2003 28hp, salt water cooled.

Its running at 40C on the temp sensor when it should and was running at 60C. I have replaced the thermostat which made no difference. There are 2 pipes exiting cooling water into the exhaust elbow. One from the thermostat which is hot to touch as is the thermostat housing. The other pipe runs from the back of the engine (head I think) and is dead cold like its carrying cold water, which I take to be suspect. Any thoughts or suggestions to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance

We have a 1986 Volvo 2003 28hp, salt water cooled.

Its running at 40C on the temp sensor when it should and was running at 60C. I have replaced the thermostat which made no difference. There are 2 pipes exiting cooling water into the exhaust elbow. One from the thermostat which is hot to touch as is the thermostat housing. The other pipe runs from the back of the engine (head I think) and is dead cold like its carrying cold water, which I take to be suspect. Any thoughts or suggestions to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance

Problem solved, used a laser temp pointer, showed 50C at the thermo housing (with replacement "used" thermostat). after giving the original thermostat and temp sensor a good clean and de-scale the laser showed 58 and the gauge is back to 60C ish. Having not tested the original thermostat with the laser before cleaning its hard to know if it was the build up on the sensor or the build up on the thermostat that was causing the gauge to read low.

Back