Logo

Nissan 4hp 2011 shift problem.

Elkjunkie

My 2011 4hp 4stroke Nissan (NSF4C) will not always shift into forward or reverse gear.
I can normally shift from neutral to forward and back into neutral but not into reverse. If I rotate the prop about 1/2 turn while in neutral it will shift smoothly between all the gears. This is the case when the engine is running or not. This has been a problem since the engine was new.
The engine runs fine at all throttle speeds when in neutral or when in gear. When changing the gear case oil there are no metal filings and no water in the oil.
Is it possible this problem can be resolved by a linkage adjustment or is the problem likely in the lower gear case?
Is there a repair manual available for this model engine?
I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Michael

The shifter uses a mechanical "dog" clutch, not a friction disk type of clutch. The engine must be running in order to shift, particularly to shift into reverse. You must be at idle, and must shift briskly. This is the case for all modern outboards. If you cannot operate the shifter as described, see your dealer under warranty.

The Factory (Tohatsu) service manual for your unit is Part # 003-21034-2 , $40.00, available from any dealer, including me. If you want one, drop me an email at the office: [email protected], and we'll be happy to help.

Back