Logo

1979 mercruiser 470 hamonic balancer

stackinfish

I have changed to exteral alt. and took the magnets out of the balancer. do I need to put weight back in or do they sell aftermarket that has it done? thank you.

No, you can remove the magnets and be done.I dont think its proper name is "harmonic balancer" compared to the 4`s,6`s,and 8`s were familiar with. Its just a hunk of cast iron
with some magnets glued inplace .

Take the magnets out. All of them. It will be fine. I did it three years ago as well as many others. The magnets can, over time, break loose and damage your timing cover. It happened on my engine and it mashed up the timing marks a little bit. Harmonic balancer, stator, lower crank pulley, etc. People call it by different names but you kinda get the idea. Be careful reinstalling. Clean everything up real good, think you need a puller to reinstall (been awhile), maybe warm it a bit before you even try to slide on crank. Not hot, just fairly warm to touch. May give you an edge in reinstallation. Oh yeah, maybe a little grease or lube of some sort also. Don't try and force it on via the crank bolt! Just sayin since you got this far without any major problems. You will be glad that you removed everything instead of just capping off wires as many do so as not to have to remove stator but problem is that it still generates energy and could be dangerous down the road. You did the right thing! good job, best of luck, Tom

Back