Logo

225 hp engine shuts off after 10 minutes and gives alarm any help will help me

ToastyCoastie

i have a 25' boat with twin 225s on it port side engine runs fine for 10 minutes then starts shaking violently, never loses rpm or goes to safemode and gives a audible alarm, but no lights on switch panel, i can shut it off and instantly restart engine and run fine for another 10 minutes, i am thinking oil pressure sensor , but not sure, what do you guys think? engine is a 2006

Check if the green light has gone off for the port side once the issue has occured. If so, then not good. If remain's on then have unit checked by a tech that has an HDS or Dr.H system. #3 main bearing and thrust bearing have a greater than normal risk of failure. Check current DTC'c and history. Also oil alert's. Thanks Martin

I assume that when you activate the key switch, you get two beeps on the alarm, and all four indicator lights come on briefly, then go off, except the alternator. Then when engine is started, alternator light goes off and green oil pressure light comes on. Is that correct? Assuming further that you have the four light panel, then I would determine if there are any fault codes on the ECM by shunting the red service connector as described many times on this forum. Here is a brief description of how to do that.

You need to retrieve the codes from the EPROM in the on-board engine computer - the Electronic Control Module or ECM.
Take off the engine cover and the plastic cover over the electronics on the front of the engine. There you will see a red four-pronged female plug. Use a paper clip to shunt the lime green/white wire to the black wire – that is, the two wires that are closest to the engine when the red service connector is correctly set in its holder. If in doubt, invest in a SCS service connector, which you can order online - part number 070PZ-ZY30100.

Once connected, turn on the key switch and observe the number of blinks on the check engine (MIL) light. The blinks will repeat until you turn off the key.
If the MIL comes on and stays on without blinking, you have one of the following conditions:
• Short circuit in the service check connector wire
• Short circuit in the MIL wire
• Short circuit in the sensor system power supply
• Open circuit in the power supply line to the ECM
• Faulty ECM

If the MIL comes on, then goes off after a few seconds, there are no codes in the EPROM.

If the MIL starts blinking, then count the blinks, which will indicate the fault code(s). You may get long blinks and short blinks. For example, two long blinks,followed by five short blinks, would be a fault code 25. The blink sequence will repeat itself until you turn the key off. If there is more than one fault, you will get multiple fault codes. For example, three short blinks, followed by two long blinks and five short blinks would be fault codes 3 and 25. Post the number of blinks and I will try to tell you what the error code is. Or, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the codes.

just ran again watched SWITCH PANEL WHICH DOES HAVE 4 LIGHTS ON IT sooryy caps on, green light went out after 10 minutes of running and alarms sounded.

Okay - Possibilities...
- Faulty oil pressure sensor switch
- Oil strainer clogged
- Oil pump faulty
- Oil passage clogged
- Oil filter clogged

I would try to elimate problems with the sensor and clogged filter before tearing into the engine.

Perform cro bar test, Place flat bat or very large screwdriver between top pully and block becareful not to break anything. Pry up on pully if you feel it move or hearn a clunk then the thrust bearing has failed. Max end play is 0.14 . Wish I had better new's Thanks Martin

Back