Logo

Installing trans coupler on prop shaft?

Masterbcobb

Thanks everyone for the great ideas on removing the coupler from the prop shaft. Now my question is, if the coupler comes off that hard how am I going to reinstall the coupler? It is a 1 1/2 in dia shaft for a 270hp Crusader. Is it a taper fit on to the shaft? Everything looks clean, no rust, no corrision. Even though it is 1988 vintiage it looks as if it was new.

going on is the easy part. The correct way to do it is drive the shaft INTO the coupler at the rear. A block of wood on the end of the shaft with a small sledge will do the trick. Someone in the engine room helps so you know how far to go.

You don't want to hit the face of the flange to get it back on.

Bob

Buy a new one. Get the type that splits and save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Or the next owner of her if not you.

to install: take the installed prop and hand drive it forward; the inertia usually is enough to push the shaft onto the flange as it hits the xmission flange. I've even done it underwater with two feet on the blades and two hands on the dive platform!

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm responding because it might be helpful for someone in the future.

I removed a flange from the prop shaft with considerable difficulty so I had to be creative in re-installing it. I didn't want to drive the shaft
into the flange against the transmission. I cleaned the inside of the flange, the shaft and the keyway using solvent and bronze wool. Then
made a pot of hot water and soaked the flange in it for about 20 minutes. I coated the shaft with light machine oil. Then took the flange
out of the water, wiped it dry and slipped it onto the end of the shaft by hand. No sweat!

Back