Logo

Mercury 15hp 4 stroke .. is it enough !!

mark groves

Hi Guys
My first post so please be gentle :)

Im looking at buying a 15ft seahog hunter, which currenty lies on a river and has only been used as a river cruiser by an older couple.

My question, and i appologise if its on the wrong forum, is that i plan to sea fish with the boat, but my main concern is whether the 2005, 15 horse merc is man enough to get the seahog up on the plain with 3 men aboard

i cant test this theory, as the river wont allow me to test drive it to that extreme

anyone who has had experience of this size boat with a similar engine, i would love to hear your feedback

also is the 15hp merc a proven motor, as not had a 4 stroke before

regards
mark

No way! You and maybe a friend (total weight under 300 lbs.) maybe, but no more than that.

Frankly, the 4 strokes are gutless at mid-range, which is where you need the power to lane.

Jeff

a 15 hp is too small for anything other than protected waters..i dont know what you mean by ''sea fish'' ....you have no extra power to handle rough water...and depending on your experience with a tiller i would put a wheel in the boat...

Look at the coast guard placard on the boat to see what the max HP and weight limit is. I would at least get a good used 25 HP TWO STROKE for that size boat. The 15 HP is good for a 12' dingy w/2 people but that's about all.

Back