Logo

Chrysler M440 Right hand (reverse) Rotation Intermediate Gear

Tahoe,

You sound like my Piston Engine instructor from college. He was acrew chief for C-130's and knew his way around C-97's, C-124's, B-36's (six-a-turnin' and 4-a-burnin') and just about every round piston engine built.

You are speaking my language brother!

So which Glenwood log and riser combination did you use? Did you need to mill the ports on the log?

Did you use aluminum or cast iron heads? What did your guy use for port matching?

I'll be running a Velvet Drive. It has a cooler inline. Is there a way to boost the pressure? A spring swap or a twist of an adjustment screw?

Tony

Tahoe,

Found the flow data for the 440 source "Stealth" aluminum head.

Port volumes are about 212CC's on the intake and 72CC's on the exhaust. Intakes flow about 280-290 CFM as cast, with the potential to reach at least 330 CFM or more with porting. Compare that to 215-220 CFM from even the best factory production heads such as 906's or even 915's! Larger 2.14" and 1.81" valve sizes also come standard. Combustion chamber is a "closed chamber" design, with quench area built in, so the benefits of running "tight quench" can be realized. Chamber size "as cast" is about 80cc's.

Here's the link for 440 source "Stealth" head:

http://store.440source.com/Stealth-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-COMPLETE-SINGLE-HEAD/productinfo/200-1055/

The price is reasonable too. You can pick up a pair complete​ for less than a grand!

Tahoe,

Do you know where I can pick up a timing cover with the crossover built in? My M440B has one, but the M440D I am picking up has a water circulating pump on it.

Tony

Tahoe,

Found the flow data for the 440 source "Stealth" aluminum head.

Port volumes are about 212CC's on the intake and 72CC's on the exhaust. Intakes flow about 280-290 CFM as cast, with the potential to reach at least 330 CFM or more with porting. Compare that to 215-220 CFM from even the best factory production heads such as 906's or even 915's! Larger 2.14" and 1.81" valve sizes also come standard. Combustion chamber is a "closed chamber" design, with quench area built in, so the benefits of running "tight quench" can be realized. Chamber size "as cast" is about 80cc's.

Here's the link for 440 source "Stealth" head:

http://store.440source.com/Stealth-Aluminum-Cylinder-Head-COMPLETE-SINGLE-HEAD/productinfo/200-1055/

The price is reasonable too. You can pick up a pair complete​ for less than a grand!

Don't expect the valves to last. Marine engines are very hard on valves. At the price posted there is no way there using a high quality made in the USA valve. Marine duty high performance valves run ~$150/head.

Tahoe,

Thanks for the valve tip. I will make it a point to ask during my order. I can also get the heads bare. Then I can order valves separately, get what I need and have them installed.

Tony, you may be able to relate to this..... I sure can!

BOAT
= Bring Out Another Thousand (dollars) ........ and it's quite fitting!

With some of my past experiences..... BOAT = Bring Out Another Tool ;) :D

Last edited:
Back