Logo

bf90 2006 model tac. problems

i have a 2006 model bf90 that has tac. problems. i was trouble shooting it and found a few bad connections on back of it on the batt. and grnd post, so i repaired those and it started working but not exactly right was in process of rechecking connections when the motor died and will not restart. any ideas on what it can be? maybe a fuse or something? any help will be greatly appreciated

is it common for a tac. to go bad? mine just quit working light and all. i found those bad connections and fixed them and then the light started working and the tac. tried to work but the needle tried to go the wrong way. i was in process of trying to clean the contacts by turning that dial on back and then i guess the fuse popped. do you happen to know which number that dial is supposed to be on or know of a way i can make sure it gets back on the right one?

Not knowing the brand of the tach...here is the generic settings for all the Honda engines.

Attachments

• tachometer settings.pdf
    361.3 KB · Views: 128
Most Farias have a little chart on the side to translate from the number of poles to setting.

# poles 4 = setting 1, #poles 6 = setting 2, etc.

The ones sold by Honda only have a 1 to 6. The setting on those is #1.

Mike

Thanks again, the little tag is not readable so I will try setting 1 first. Like I mentioned (I believe) after I redone some of the connections the needle started to move again but was going the wrong direction, so I turned the knob on back and then it started going in right direction but I think then I had it on wrong setting? So do you believe my honda bf90 2006 model might have only 4 lobes ?

Do you happen to know right off hand what this 90hp honda should idle at ? It seems like it is idling a little high, I've backed off the idle screw but it doesn't idle down any until I push the linkage down. I've checked to insure everything is moving freely and not stuck or binding anywheere. It idles around 900 to 1000 right now or atleast that's what the gauge says. Does the gauge have anything to do with the rpms or does it just report what the rpms are?

Idle should be 950 plus/minus 50. So it sounds like it is where is should be.

The tach just indicates the rpms. I have seen cases with other motors where a bad tach will cause ignition problems, but so far I have not seen it, myself, on a Honda.Mike

Back