Logo

Need help confirming I can use this engine wiring harness.

1stboat

Regular Contributor
I have a 1994 5.7 GIPMDA. The engine wiring harness has to be replaced and I can't pay the 1200 Volvo wants. I thought it could be repaired, but there are 7 or 8 connectors that have to be replaced; not to mention there are several frayed wires in each of the ECM connectors. I have the Seloc service manual and in the wiring schematics for my engine harness it mentions two engines; 1995-1996 4.3L and 1994-1996 5.7L; which is what I have. So I did a little searching on-line and found that part # 3850364 is the engine harness for the 4.3L of that year. I searched for it online and found it for 300, but it does not appear to be available any longer. Did a bit more research and found part number 3858131 is the replacement for 3850364. It sells for 450.

I would like help confirming that part# 3858131 is correct for my engine. I don't know of any websites that you can put a part number in and it will tell you all engines that part number was used in.

Ayuh,... If Volvo is anything like Merc,...

The 4.3l harness will be too short to work on a V8, as the motor is shorter...

This site lists several replacements for the engine wiring harness for my engine, can someone help me track down what part number will work for me?

I have a 1994 5.7 GIPMDA. The engine wiring harness has to be replaced and I can't pay the 1200 Volvo wants. I thought it could be repaired, but there are 7 or 8 connectors that have to be replaced; not to mention there are several frayed wires in each of the ECM connectors. I have the Seloc service manual and in the wiring schematics for my engine harness it mentions two engines; 1995-1996 4.3L and 1994-1996 5.7L; which is what I have. So I did a little searching on-line and found that part # 3850364 is the engine harness for the 4.3L of that year. I searched for it online and found it for 300, but it does not appear to be available any longer. Did a bit more research and found part number 3858131 is the replacement for 3850364. It sells for 450.

I would like help confirming that part# 3858131 is correct for my engine. I don't know of any websites that you can put a part number in and it will tell you all engines that part number was used in.

Use caution when using the Seloc or Clymers manuals. Too many errors with the Seloc or Clymers manuals.
You should be using an OEM manual.

What about physically comparing the two harnesses to each other?
See if the Volvo Penta dealer has both in stock and if they'd be willing to bring each up the counter.

Otherwise, contact a few boat salvage yards. See if they've parted out any of these boats with either engine.

Use caution when using the Seloc or Clymers manuals. Too many errors with the Seloc or Clymers manuals.
You should be using an OEM manual.

I believe I didn't explain myself correctly. The only thing I got from the Seloc manual is that the 1995-1996 4.3 GI and 1994-1996 5.7 GI engines have the same wiring schematic, which lead me to believe that they would have the same wiring harness. Its on page 10-95 of Seloc manual 3606.

The part numbers I quoted, I got by looking up the engine wiring harnesses for those engine models and years on Volvo's website. I then cross referenced Volvo's part numbers to OMC's part number; which I found available on this site. OMC's wiring harness is about a third of what volvo wants, 430 vs 1200. I just want confirmation of the right wiring harness before I order it.

The part numbers I quoted, I got by looking up the engine wiring harnesses for those engine models and years on Volvo's website. I then cross referenced Volvo's part numbers to OMC's part number; which I found available on this site. OMC's wiring harness is about a third of what volvo wants, 430 vs 1200. I just want confirmation of the right wiring harness before I order it.
OMC was no longer in existence by 1994/5. You may see some OMC logos on some components, but this would be all Volvo Penta by post 1994.

Also, the 1994 5.7 GIPMDA is an AQ series main suspension fork and pivot geometry drive.... nothing at all like the Cobra Gimbal system drive.
What this does in regard to the engine harness, I can't say for sure.

OMC was no longer in existence by 1994/5. You may see some OMC logos on some components, but this would be all Volvo Penta by post 1994.

Also, the 1994 5.7 GIPMDA is an AQ series main suspension fork and pivot geometry drive.... nothing at all like the Cobra Gimbal system drive.
What this does in regard to the engine harness, I can't say for sure.

According to the wiring schematics, I don't believe the drive geometry will have an impact on the wiring harness. The tilt up/down does not go through the engine wiring harness. The only thing that may is the trim level, which doesn't work anyway; and I'm not worried about that. The other connections are mechanical. I'd REALLY like to be able to get the OMC wiring harness and save the money vs getting the Penta wiring harness.

I think its going to work.

I downloaded the wiring schematics for the OMC wiring harness I bought and compared it to the wiring schematics in the seloc manual that references the volvo wiring harness. I looked at each wire/connection and the two ecm connectors (J1, J2) on the volvo and omc wiring harness. They are both the same.

I may have just saved about 800 dollars by doing a bit of research. Whoo Hooo!

Volvo wants 1200 for the engine wiring harness. I found it online for 250, including shipping.

What caused all the damage to that harness it is not all that difficult to splice new connectors with solder and shrink wrap. As long as the wires are good inside the loop (no internal shorts) that one can be repaired.

I also questioned this earlier in the thread. But he explains why here.

........... I thought it could be repaired, but there are 7 or 8 connectors that have to be replaced; not to mention there are several frayed wires in each of the ECM connectors.

Bottom line, and good news :D
I found it online for 250, including shipping.

I am wondering if you where able to find a wiring harness, as I have the same engine and problem you where having, did you find out if the 3858131 will work as a replacement?

I am wondering if you where able to find a wiring harness, as I have the same engine and problem you where having, did you find out if the 3858131 will work as a replacement?

Yes it did ... almost perfectly.

There are two wires that aren't on the 3858131 that were on the original. The wire that goes to MIL (check engine light) and the wire that goes to the kill switch. It was never working on my boat so it was no loss to me. Your situation might be different.

Also, the wiring harness is a bit shorter. I had to reposition the ground to the eye hook used to lift the engine out. It saved about 700 dollars so it was well worth it for me.

I got the harness from boats.net

I too: Need help confirming I can use this engine wiring harness.

Gents,

Some assistance please.

I too, identical issue on a '95 VP 5.7L. Original problem: one injector on TB not operate at higher idle (>2600). ON the dot, at ~2601rpm, one injector plug loses signal and stops spraying. Swapped the plugs, thinking it was bad injector, no dice. Further inspection to start isolating electrical problem, wire exposed, dry rotted all over the harness. Assumption: shorting out somewhere inside the gut.
Took it into the shop where a buddy works, they called me a week later and said "come get it, we can't find a harness; they don't make it any more and it's taking up space". Piss poor if you ask me. Anyway, so I'm on my own.
Assuming wiring harness being completely rotted is the issue:
See attached pictures:

1- I cannot locate a data plate on the motor itself to identify a serial number to assist in cross-referencing. My buddy hasn't been able to make it by, but told me it should be on the front of the motor somewhere - well, I can't find it. If someone would be so kind as to
review the picture I provided and:
a- Stick it in PPT or something and draw an arrow to where I should find it....:confused: Yes, Barney (Fife) style.....
b- possible ID/verify the motor model for me by inspection of the pics.
Note: in discussing finding this info on the site here with by buddy, he stated the 4.3L harness will not work because it wasn't fuel injected, only carb> Can someone comment on that as well.... From reading this thread a number of times, I couldn't glean that here...

2- I did identify a data plate on the transom. A picture is provided for clarity. I did find several numbers on this data plate.
Can someone:
a- clear/confirm what exactly these numbers are (engine/drive serial/model #'s??)

3- also located a raised number (forged) on the top of the intake manifold next to a Chevy symbol. See picture. Does this mean anything?

An assist would be greatly appreciated here so I can get thing figured out.

Thanks in advance and....

Semper FI,

Brett

Attachments

• Regal motor 3.jpg
    Regal motor 3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 348
  • Regal motor 2.jpg
    Regal motor 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMAG1019.jpg
    IMAG1019.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG1022.jpg
    IMAG1022.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 80
Udpate:

After posting above, I went back to my SECO manual to dig through it some more, and it did give some additional information on location of the data plate. I could still not locate, possibly hidden from view. The way it read (could have been more specific with better pics), I primarily was looking at the upper left corner of the top view pic, on the valve cover, as well as below on the block. Too many hoses in the way and couldn't see much even with a mirror.

Would still appreciate some assistance with understanding if the part number identified as a fix will work for this application as well.....thanks

baw351maverick, you've hy-jacked 1stboats' thread here.

No real harm nor foul..... but it will help you get what you're looking for if you start your own thread for your specific questions. :D

Thanks Ricardo.

I'll post a new thread. However, at the time it seemed relevant to discuss the identical issue in the same thread, particularly since I'm trying to determine if the thread owner's solution will work for what I believe is identical problem......

Last edited:
I'll post a new thread.
However, at the time it seemed relevant to discuss the identical issue in the same thread, particularly since I'm trying to determine if the thread owner's solution will work for what I believe is identical problem......
Understood.
It's still best to begin your own thread.... we never know quite which direction it may take. :D

I have exactly the same motor and issue. My existing harness is just corroded. Seems the wires are brittle (shorting) and the insulation is falling off.
I just wanted to verify 2 items:
1. Is this the item that I need to order: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/omc/O-3858131.html
2. and you just had to change the ground to use the engine lift?
thanks so much for the info, this has been really crazy.

baw351maverick, you've hy-jacked 1stboats' thread here.

No real harm nor foul..... but it will help you get what you're looking for if you start your own thread for your specific questions. :D

Thanks Ricardo, but I don't mind answering Maverick.

Maverick, I got the idea of using a 4.3 wiring harness from the Seloc manual. On one of the pages showing wiring diagrams it states the wiring schematic is for 95-96 4.3 and 5.7 94-95, or something like that.

Anyway, there are two versions of the 4.3 liter; carburated and fuel injected. I did plenty of research before buying the 4.3 wiring's harness. They share all the same sensors and connections.

I have exactly the same motor and issue. My existing harness is just corroded. Seems the wires are brittle (shorting) and the insulation is falling off.
I just wanted to verify 2 items:
1. Is this the item that I need to order: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/omc/O-3858131.html
2. and you just had to change the ground to use the engine lift?
thanks so much for the info, this has been really crazy.

1. Yes, that's the one.
2. Yes, that's correct.

Also, I had to splice the wire to the oil sensor and knock sensor so they reach their respective sensors. I used the wire from the harness I replaced for that - to keep the wire coloring consistency.

Thanks Ricardo, but I don't mind answering Maverick.

Maverick, I got the idea of using a 4.3 wiring harness from the Seloc manual. On one of the pages showing wiring diagrams it states the wiring schematic is for 95-96 4.3 and 5.7 94-95, or something like that.

Anyway, there are two versions of the 4.3 liter; carburated and fuel injected. I did plenty of research before buying the 4.3 wiring's harness. They share all the same sensors and connections.

1stboat,

Appreciate the assistance.

Back