Logo

johnson 25hp not pumping water

fishon1

Contributing Member
Hi Guys, I just picked up a 98 25hp (j25REC) I put it in the bucket and not squirting any water out,
any ideas?? I would think its the impeller, how tough a job is that to do myself? is there a link that shows the instructions? love the motor, started right up but its been sitting awhile so it is going to need some TLC,
Thanks very much
Steve

Water MUST be above the pump in order for the pump to work.-------------A 45 gallon barrel is what is needed here.--A bucket is not good enuff.

Thanks for getting back tome, its a huge container, water is well above the fins, do these motors have a thermostat?
I only had it running for about 10 sec,

Yes it does have a thermostat.----------Remove the black plastic water intake screen.----Undo the shift rod coupling.------Slide the upper nut up.----Remove the black plastic split piece.---------Remove the bolts for the lower unit and remove the lower unit.-----Install a new impeller, assemble and test again.

Will do, thanks, I saw where the hose omotorwater2.jpgn top goes around into this area. (see H letter in photo) is this the water pump area that I should look into also?
thanks much.

ok Thanks, you can tell im new @ this, lol if it has a thermostat would it spit water regardless? or should I wait for it to get hot first? on my old 9.8 it squirt water out as soon as I started it.

ok Thanks, you can tell im new @ this, lol if it has a thermostat would it spit water regardless? or should I wait for it to get hot first? on my old 9.8 it squirt water out as soon as I started it.

it will spit water as soon as it starts running. if you are new to outboards i would have somebody install a new water pump housing,impeller and seals. its not very hard to do if you can find a service manual wich im sure ebay has one, its really not that complicated. ur pic, thats the water jacket cover do not take that off there is no need. if ur standing behind the motor look above where the spark plugs are and you will see a small peice sticking out of the crank case cover with 2 or 3 bolts thats the thermostat housing. dont remove that until you put a new pump and impeller in(the kits cheap). like i said it will spit water whith a bad thermostat and those thermostats very rarely go bad. also did you take a peice of wire and shove it up the pee-hole(where water spits out)? if its been sitting a while sometimes a bug or something can get in there and clog it, try that and if that dont work change the pump. when you do that and get it running let it warm up for a minute and hold your hand on the crankcase cover, if you cant keep your hand on it for 5-6 seconds because its too hot the thermostats bad. i can hold my hand on my 25 all day when its warmed up.

Hi Sharfish, Thanks very very much, I got a manual yesterday, and the kit is on order, I'll give it a shot,
also that hose was clogged, i took it off and started it without it, but still no water squirting,
i'll know more once i remove the lower unit/water pump.
thanks again/ what an AWESOME SITE

also, on my pull starter rope retracts back very slow, im left with around 6 to 8in slack, it does go back in but takes around 10sec before i can pull it again, im afraid to take it off to inspect, all i need is that coil to pop out, lol
can i spray some wd-40 up under there?

Take the recoil off.-------NOTHING WILL POP OUT.----------If a little lubricant does not help,you may have to wind the rope on one more turn and reinstall recoil.

Last edited:
Thanks Much Kim, so the thermostat is behind the plate with the H on it?? Im still waiting on the water pump kit. but I do think a look @ the thermostat is a great idea, just want to make sure thats where its located.
Thanks very much

Great, thanks for the link, yes I just had a look @ those parts here online too,
Im going to remove that head cover this morning and have a look under it,

Great info Kim, yeah I need it to work well, I fish @ night alot for Crappie, your right its a workhorse, I have read alot of good things about these motors, thats why I got it,

ps kids are @ school now, so Im about to hit the grease and work on it, I really enjoying learning and working on these things,
Thanks again an have a great day.
Steve
Raleigh NC

Well I got the lower unit all apart, but that upper nut is giving me problems, that plastic keeper is under there and im not sure how to get it off, can i come from the top and hit it down with a hammer to free it? that nut spins around and doesnt move up or down, dont want to hit it to hard, is there a trick ti getting that plactic keeper off?
took a photo of it below,
thanks alotrodnut.jpg

success, well the impeller looks fine, back to the drawing board, lol I guess next Im going to take that plate off up by the thermostat, and have a look at that,

Thanks so much for your help,

Hi Kim. I had put a new hose on to the tell tale yesterday, the old one was clogged up pretty good, and this evening I tried to blow thru it, and its clear, I even lit a cig and blew smoke thru it, lol and did see the smoke come right out the bottom.lol now I know my problem is the water pump/impeller area, soon as I get my new kit I will replace everything.
I also saw the plastic spacer, (see photo) is cracked, looks like that part is now obsolete, replaced by a metal one,
so I have to wait on that part now also, thanks so much for the great tips/info, dish soap idea is GREAT,
sure wish I could buy you dinner an a beer,
Take care
Steve
spacer25hp.jpg

I hear ya, I dont drink either, good coffee is my thing, lol Yes I did also order a housing for it all ready.
cant wait to get back on the water, The Striper action is on fire right now on Kerr lake in NC.

Hi guys, well I did a test run today in the lake and the water pump is working GREAT, Thanks so much,
but Im having another problem, its gas related im guessing, I can start it ok, but it kicks to the side every 3 seconds or so, but if i rev it up it sounds fine, i never left the dock, it did die on me a few times, was afraid to put it in gear and head out, could it be the carb or gas filter not getting a strait stream of gas?
Thanks much

Does it say anywhere on the tank about an automatic vent ?--------These companies make tanks all day long and I am sure they have heard about venting by now !

yes DUH, lol I did look under the cap just now, and it must be self venting. I looked under the gas filter cap too and the screen is very clean, so would a dirty carb make it kick to the side like that?

killing fish, only fish I kill are Crappie, mmmmm good, everything else gets a kiss and sent back home. lol
Thanks for all the great tips, going to give the SF a shot, I also noticed the primer pull, (choke) is real hard to pull out, and when I do get it pulled out all the way, she slowly goes back in, think I'll tackle that too in the morning, might just need cleaning, would you happen to know the part number for a carb kit for my motor?
J25RECB,

Thanks so much

Thanks Kim. I saw a few different kits listed there, I assumed it was the one with the R but wanted to make sure.
been ordering all my stuff from this site, love it, Im going to replace all the hoses also, I was told this motor sat for years before I bought it, sure is a monster compared to my little 9.8 I used to have,

Thanks again and have a great day,
Steve

Hi guys, I took the boat down to the lake to run some DE-Carb stuff thru it, Love that stuff, well after I was done, it was still kicking/coughing, but did sound alot smoother. so I thought maybe shes getting to much air, so I put 2 fingers over my carb to cut about 1/2 the air going into it, and WALLA, man did it purr like a kitten, that stopped the kicking right away. so I brought it back home to adjust the mixer screw, needed to look that up on witch way to turn the screw for it being to lean, its counterclockwise, I gave it a 1/4 turn, I cant get back out on the lake again till the morning.
so happy I narrowed it down to this, im still going to replace the gas filters/carb gaskets when I receive em,
lessen learned.
Have a great day and a Merry Xmas guys.

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 98 25hp (j25REC) I put it in the bucket and not squirting any water out,
any ideas?? I would think its the impeller, how tough a job is that to do myself? is there a link that shows the instructions? love the motor, started right up but its been sitting awhile so it is going to need some TLC,
Thanks very much
Steve
had the same issue must have the water level above the pump 2 to 3 inches I installed all new pump and housing and will not pump unless water level is above the pump

Back