Logo

Mariner 9.9ML 682C 361494 (Lower unit Shift Shaft Broken/Issue in prop gearbox)

kenlodato

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a mariner 9.9 and took the lower unit off to inspect the water pump, clean, etc, but then I noticed it wasn't shifting (The Shift shaft was disconnected in the gear box and was not engaging), so I removed the propeller, gears, the propeller shaft, to get behind the gears in the gearbox to see why it wasn't engaging (f,n,r) , when i slide in the shift shaft into the "clip" (shown in the image) and turn it 90 degrees it grasps on to the clip and the part "clip" and will slide back and forth normally, but if i put pressure on the part with a screw driver, it disconnects again.

I would imagine the gears would put pressure on it and cause it to slip loose as well, which is why i use the screw driver to test it out. Can anyone help me figure out the name of this part so I can order it and how I would disconnect and replace with a new shift shaft. Thank you for all suggestions and advice, I appreciate all the help I can get!

larger-image-for-shift-shaft.jpg

I believe that the lower shift rod is assembled as one piece.--------Pull all the parts out to inspect where it is broken.

I did pull out all the parts, which is why you can see that part at the back of the gearbox. I cant figure out how to remove the lower shift shaft because I think there is a nut in place on the other side of the wall, so I haven't gotten it out as of yet. my shift shaft has a nut at the upper end to connect to the upper shift shaft, the lower shift shaft was turned and must of broken the "clip" behind the gears to engage forward, neutral and reverse.
Has anyone ever removed the entire lower shift shaft before? or had this same problem?

I know it is one piece. I was asking how to get it out without damaging anything, but I gave it another shot and got it out. It detached from the clip, and I will probably weld it back on. I didn't mean to offend you, I am sure you've replaced dozens, but I appreciate you posting with concern about my issue. thank you.

Ken

The pin holds the stainless rod in the hardened steel cam assembly.The rod has a groove where that pin fits.----Careful how you weld these different materials.

I was thinking about using some strong metal adhesive, what do you think? I'd buy a new shaft, but i cannot find any used or new ones so far.

That is a YAMAHA built piece of machinery and a good one at that.-----So have you looked into the replacement parts under say a 1984 -----9.9 HP YAMAHA.----------Look into that on -----boats.net------Not saying it is exactly the same , but you can decide I am sure.

If you are/ know of a competent welder, that should not be any challenge at all. Hell; it ain't a connecting rod!

Jeff

Back