Logo

TAMD 41b rear main leak

reelhappy

Hello all, I just purchased a Cape Dory with Volvos and after my first cruise of 2 hours mostly at slow speed I found 2 qts of oil in the bildge. The engine is dry except for the bottom of the bellhousing so I assume a rear main seal but never saw a seal leak that much. My first question is has anyone seen them suddenly leak like that and the second is how difficult is this seal. I know the tranny has to come out but does the oil pan come down and the bellhousing come off. It looks in the parts book Like it may be a 1 piece seal with access from the bellhousing. I am a pretty good mechanic but never touched a volvo diesel . Thanks in advance

Most likely rear main seal. They do leak, usually slowly over time tho. Transmission needs removed, also flywheel, and then you have easy access to the seal. Pry out the old one with large screwdriver, making sure you dont scratch crank or bellhousing. Inspect the crank and bellhousing for corrosion or pitting, even the best seal wont work if oil can bypass it thru a scratch or a crack. If its all solid, and looks good, clean contact surfaces, and evenly tap in the new rear main seal flush with the outside lip of the bellhousing. Install flywheel and run motor without transmission attached for a while, then remove flyweel again and check the seal for leaks/issues. If all good reinstall gear. Good luck

Most likely rear main seal. They do leak, usually slowly over time tho. Transmission needs removed, also flywheel, and then you have easy access to the seal. Pry out the old one with large screwdriver, making sure you dont scratch crank or bellhousing. Inspect the crank and bellhousing for corrosion or pitting, even the best seal wont work if oil can bypass it thru a scratch or a crack. If its all solid, and looks good, clean contact surfaces, and evenly tap in the new rear main seal flush with the outside lip of the bellhousing. Install flywheel and run motor without transmission attached for a while, then remove flyweel again and check the seal for leaks/issues. If all good reinstall gear. Good luck

Thank you so much for the quick response and what you explained is exactly what I hoped it would be. Sounds like it should only be a 3 or 4 hour deal and a cheap repair which is good because i am already broke. The ut will study cannot think of anything else that could cause that kind of leak but will confirm it and move ahead.

Before you start just make sure oil pan bolts are all dry, since any leak will migrate back to the bottom of the bellhousing and i have seen loose bolt on the front of the motor (gear cover) manifest itself as wet spot under bellhousing.

Also check transmission fluid level, to make sure its not leaking from there.

It takes me about an hour, but i have done it many times. Lube lightly inside lip of the seal as you install it over the crank. Outer surface must be absolutely dry. Tapping it on with a hammer has to be done evenly around the perimeter so seal doesnt distort.

Back