Logo

Velvet Drive 10-17-006 (AS2-71CR) vs 10-17-005 (AS2-71C)?

dhudge

Any velvet drive experts in the house?
I've got a 10-17-006 that needs rebuild or replace. Given the cost of rebuild, I'm considering a salvage replacement...at least temporarily.
The engine it comes from is a 350 crusader with a RH rotation (stbd side)

After some research, I'm thoroughly confused...

What appears to be the most credible source of info says, what the thread name indicates:
10-17-006 = AS2-71CR
10-17-005 = AS2-71C
...both are 1.5:1 ratio. Here's the link:
http://www.marinepartssource.com/velvetdrivepb/trans-id.asp

Other sources associate the 10-17-006 with the AS2-71C (not CR).
And still others say the 10-17-005 applies to the RH rotation engine, whereas my seized up 10-17-006 came from a RH rotation crusader. I even have one source say the difference between a 10-17-006 & AS2-71C is that the shaft on the latter is about 5/16" longer and a different damper plate would required to make it work.

Again, I'm now thoroughly confused!

I've got a friend with two rebuilt AS2-71C tranny's for me if I want them, and don't know if they'll work without pulling everything apart.

Can anyone help???

Chris, I noticed on one of the supplier web sites they offer "master overhaul" kits and "fwd clutch" packs. The master includes both fwd & reverse clutch packs, but I read somewhere when these things fail in the fwd position (like mine) all that's needed is a fwd clutch pack replacement.
Your recommendation?

Change all of them. The money you save is not worth the piece of mind. The only thing, you have to purchase different size shims for the forward clutch pack. When you put the forward clutch drum together you don't want it too tight or too loose. (Loose is better than tight though)

Change all of them. The money you save is not worth the piece of mind. The only thing, you have to purchase different size shims for the forward clutch pack. When you put the forward clutch drum together you don't want it too tight or too loose. (Loose is better than tight though)

This seems to be the kit all the suppliers are advertising as "master rebuild kit":
http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/ALT23901/ALL3G

Looks like its for both 71 & 72 series. Re: different shim size...are you saying I need to get shims in addition to this kit? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

The two part numbers you list are not interchangeable...

The kits don't come with instructions..buy a service manual and you can't go wrong. Anybody selling you an overhaul kit should be able to supply you with the various shim kits.

I would say if you have access to a decently supplied shop, you shouldn't need extra "special tools"...That said, a decent air compressor with an impact hammer, a hydraulic press, and a decent puller set will reduce your pain during the rebuild.

Back