Logo

Any Die hard Ice Fisherman out there???

B

bigwiggle

This is Joe from marineengine.com, So i am Die hard ice fisherman and I have fished all over Vermont , some places in New York and i just wondering if anybody else out there likes to ice fish as much as i do. Where do you usually go ? What is your favorite fish to catch through the Ice? What Lures do you use ? i love to talk ice fishing , so please reply.

This is Derrick from Marineengine.com and I am sure people are fishing but I won't be out there for another month so I will survive the rest of the year. The salmon are still biting and there are repairs to be done to the boats for the winter so stop thinking ice fishing and get to work........Ha:mad:

MAN YOU GUY'S gona keep me from getting back to work!! was trying to sign out and saw the post. It just don't get that cold down here to fish on hard water!! although I've been duck hunting and had to break off a film of ice from the decoys! Fishing! Going next weekend the trout and reds are in the marsh!!! So load up you butt get down here and don't we late I'll leave you at the dock!!!

Good luck boys

OK guys I've look into this ice-fishing thing and here's what I've come up with.

1st) ya'll a lil crazy, it's not the cold that I would worry about but walking out on the ice and then DRILLING A HOLE IN IT WOW! Can I told ya'll I would have to have a life-jacket. And some of you with the little huts and heaters! You do know that the ice will melt! I would have to install pontoons on the hut!!

2nd) If in this life I find myself up there I to would have to find a way to fish that hard water, but here's just my idears on going about it. You need a 4-wheeler three batueau's a 12' and two 16'.I would fasten the 12"'to the front and the 16' one on each side of the 4-wheeler. In the 12' I would weld a sleave in the center about 12" in dia and as tall as the sides of the boat, then cut out the inside bottom to drill to hole in the ice. in one of the 16' I would build a lil hut it would be short and put one or two beds in it for a overnight trip. The other I would have to build a kicthen so you could make LOTS of COFFEE and cook those fish. I've only had to drive on ice a few time and can i told you something i didn't like it at all. So for traction on the 4-wheeler I would install short self drilling screws in the lugs on the tires this should help on acceleration and breaking. the 4-wheeler would have to be fasten to the 16'ers where the weight was evenly distributed evenly on each side and front to back of each skiff just in case I would run into thin ice and it have to go into float mode!

You may say WOW Fatdaddy thats a lot of work to go fishing and I don't think the wife would let me spend the money and time to make a Cajun Ice fishing Skiff. That OK here's how you sell to here. First explain that this is not just for you that in the though process it occured that you would have to incorporated things for HER to come along and enjoy herself and be comfortable in going along. such as the bedding area or the kitchen (it would be great if you could get her to make the coffee with out to much fuss). Then you will need to explain that it is not just a fishing boat/hut but a full family fun maching!! If the fish is not bitting break out the blow-up tubes/skies throw out a tow line install a child and start up the 4-wheeler(be careful in the truns I can foresee sliding issues). Then bring up this, when cabin fever is making ya'll nutz you can load everthing up and head out for a camping trip on the lake.

Anyhow you can take it from there and good luck. In promise that if I find myself living in a place with hard water I'll have to build one ASAP!

i go out for perch every now and then. we had a thunderstorm last night with a snow over so i wont be heading out anytime soon seeing as the ice was only 6-7 inches thick the last i heard.

Where y'all at! Wake up and get out there and get busy! I'm getting stir crazy! Going next weeking so y'all better hurry, if I go and get luck u know that I'll bust up in this place and post some pics!!

Good luck and get off ur rear-ends

I was going to give it a try his year. Bought a rod and hand auger and waited....... Finally enough cold days in a row and a weekend where my son didn't have hockey so I went out early. Went to my favorite local small lake because I n is where the structure is. My wife was worried about falling in so I promised I would tie off to a tree near my spot. Got to my spot which is about 8ft deep on the edge of a weed bed and a big log on the bottom. Put all my stuff down and walked to the tree about 60ft away. About 5ft from the tree, crack, pop, SPLASH into about 6"-8" of water. I had my waders on so my feet were fine but I stumbled forward and put my hands down. Gloves were soaked but I had spares. The cuffs on my sweatshirts were soaked. Since it was 18 degrees and I was sitting on a bucket with no shanty I packed it up and called it a day at 8:15 am. Drilled one hole on the way out to check thickness but never got a line in the water. It was 45 degrees today so the ice season is over around here. The most common saying in Cleveland sports is "There's always next year" and now I know why.

Now that sounds like my luck partner! This is why I though about it and come up with the cajun allseason alltrain fishing machine! see above post for the base model list of amenities. The wife will worry less about you tying off to a tree and more about coming alone and making you coffee! Anyhow glad you didn't get hurt and back home safe better to fish with bait another day than be the bait today!!

DANGER SUPER T, DANGER!!!! The removal of the ice from any adult berveage will allow the thermoline of affective berveage to rise to a un-acceptable level. If like myself you like ice coated with the amber stuff get a small bowl and add just enough of you favorite liquid and stir around with your finger, screw driver, ratchet, or even a end wrench to coat all the ice, then enjoy!

hope this helps

Well Super T that is coming from someone that lives here in south Louisiana and it don't matter how cold it gets down here Ice always melts. Just noticed youo from North Wisconsin! Bet that cool not haveing to worry about Ice for your drinks and fish! just set out a chair and push you bevarge in the snow!! :cool:

Back