Logo

Considering purchasing boat with Mercruiser 470 Inboard/Outboard

copierkat

Hi all, new to forum. I am considering purchasing an inboard/outboard boat that was donated to a charity. The boat is under shrinkwrap and cannot be test drove before purchase. It has a Mercruiser 470 according to pictures. I talked with previous owner, and she said since her husband died, she no longer used boat and donated it to the charity. She said it ran fine last time it was used, but has not been used for 2 years. The boat looks like its in good condition from photos, and asking price is $500. The previous owner said it had been winterized, but my main concern is if it was not, could I be buying a boat with a cracked block, or worse? The motor appears to be in the up position now, but that may be from moving it. I know it is supposed to be lowered to drain water and stored in that position, and it is freezing outside here now. Any suggestions for me? Should I take the risk, or should I avoid a potential $500 headache? Thanks for any thoughts!

Me in blue text.

The boat is under shrinkwrap and cannot be test drove before purchase.
Unwise to not do a sea trial, IMO...... even at only $500, unless you can throw five one hundred dollar bills into the air, and not be hurt!

It has a Mercruiser 470 according to pictures.
If the carburetor is on the Stbd side, and the exhaust is on the Port side, it will be a 470 version Merc.
$(KGrHqR,!i!FBbDCIz3RBQ(-LmNcv!~~60_35.JPG

Do a seach regarding the inherant issues with Merc's 470.

The previous owner said it had been winterized, but my main concern is if it was not, could I be buying a boat with a cracked block, or worse?
To my knowldege, all 470s were fitted with Closed System Cooling.
These are Merc's own aluminum block engines, and would very likely not fair well if Raw Water cooled.

The motor appears to be in the up position now, but that may be from moving it.
You mean that the "drive" is in the UP position???

I know it is supposed to be lowered to drain water and stored in that position, and it is freezing outside here now.
Correct!
Being stored in the UP position also takes it's tole on the drive shaft bellows.
Bellows and impeller replacement would be protocol.

Any suggestions for me? Should I take the risk, or should I avoid a potential $500 headache?
$500 is almost free. Free boats are NEVER actually Free!
Add to this the 470, and I'd suggest that you go into a purchase with your eyes fully open.

The 470's when good, were great strong little engines. There are issues, however, as they aged.

Like said, do a search and educate yourself first.

If the engine is OK, don't be disappointed if you need to replace a few parts.
Boats are not investments..... and are always expenses!

It may turn out to be a great little boat. :D

You can thump every square inch of the transom for rot. You will want to pump the fuel out of the tank since it sat for two years. You likely will need a new battery. You should change the OD impeller...sat for 2 yrs. Test the antifreeze alkalinity and freeze point. Carb may be gummed up from old fuel...needs rebuilt. Check the OD and engine oils for water.

Welcome aboard !

Do not buy this engine setup. Ok if they pay you a boat dollar then take it, otherwise run do not walk away from this boat.

A boat dollar is a thousand dollars.

Or buy it for $500 (or less), and just part it out.
There will no doubt be some good engine parts, good drive parts, gimbal housing, trailer, hull goodies, instruments, throttle/shift unit, etc.

I bought it. I think I will start by drainig the fuel that is 2 years old and go from there. The boat is in great shape for being 29 years old. I can upload pics if anyone is interested. Dave

Sure..... what the heck....... post some photos! :D

Things to look for:

Charging system..... these are problematic. The fix is a Delco 10si retro-fit kit.

The camshaft drives the engine circulating pump impeller..... this too is a problematic area regarding this rather unique sealing area.

Aluminum engine block/cast iron cylinder head.... coolant PH balance must have been kept within the correct range.

Like said, it may run near perfectly, in which case you'll have a good little boat.

Dave, the guys are just looking out for you! I am the lucky owner of a 470 (lol) so trust me, you will need to know all the inherent possible problems associated with these engines before you attempt to run on trailer. If it were me, I would remove all plugs and spray some lubricant into cylinders and let sit for a few days just in case the rings are starting to lock up on cylinders. (avoid scoring of cylinder walls and rings) Look at plugs carefully for any signs of steam cleaning effect from possible riser,gasket failure. Look for oil covered plugs also. (might give you some idea of condition of engine) Drop oil and while your at it check dipstick before you drop and inspect oil for signs of overfill,water intrusion, and or milkshake effect. If in fact the oil looks clean and at proper level ignore previous post. However, if it looks overfull and like a milkshake, do not attempt to run. (possible cam seal failure). Hopefully, that is not the case. Remove fuel filters, oil filters, remove and check inline fuel filter at carb base for dirt,etc. Remove cup from water pump and inspect for dirt,water,etc. Check plug wires,cap,rotor and point gap if it indeed still has points. Hopefully, it was upgraded to pertronix already. Check to see if it has the original oem water cooled voltage regulator along with the the rectifier at front of engine within the harmonic balancer on crank shaft. If this is the case, you will probably want to upgrade the points, oem voltage regulator,rectifier with an after market charging system. (alternator,Pertronix ignition) Drop coolant at 7:00 hole at bottom of timing cover. See if it flows and inspect for debris,rusty colored coolant, etc. If clogged up or lots of orange fine rust coming out, would give you a possible idea of condition of cam seals. (maybe) Replace plug, refill with 50/50 at the cap up top of the engine riser. Note, there should be a drain plug at bottom of heat exchanger at the very rear towards transom. That is a raw water drain for winterization. There should also be another drain close to that one and that is for the coolant. I would also change your thermostat, inspect all hoses for dry rot. Remove exaust pipes,donuts at rear of motor and look down into lower leg of exaust pipe that connects to inner gimbal housing and inspect exaust water shutter. Basically, see if they are there, melted, or simply missing. You need to have the exaust water shutters functioning on these engines or you risk possible water intrusion into cylinders via intake valves causing possible hydrolock while out on water. (engine will lock up and you will be broke down if you are not able to remove plugs out on the water. You don't ever want this to happen especially if running in salt water or you will surely ruin engine over time especially already knowing that the engine is old to begin with. Reinstall exaust sytem if all is well. Replace battery or batteries with good marine grade. Clean all main lug wire connections and battery connections. Check all main grounds thoroughly as well as wire integrity. (check for rotten cables) If it were me, I would remove the starter before I even attempt to put a load on it especially sitting around for two years. Hopefully, you have a Delco starter with built in solenoid. Don't be afraid to break down starter and inpect brushes, armature, etc. for rust. I cleaned mine up two years ago and it is still working great. There may also be an oiler on the starter drive. Lift little cap and give it a little squirt of oil so nothing would stick. That is if the starter is not completely locked up. Bench test it with alligator clips and 12 volt to see if it will spin and throw. Check bendix gear for wear or damage. Hopefully, all is good. You may have the prestolite setup with a remote solenoid that could be located under gunwhale or anywhere in engine bay for that matter. I don't care for that setup and would fully recommend the Delco starter setup but only if it is OEM. Don't buy any aftermarket starters unless you ask someone how they have made out with them in the past. (just trying to give you a heads up) Oh, before I forget and after you have gone through all of what I said above put boat on hose setup with ears and running water, see if the engine fires. If it does and you can get it to run at say 650-800 rpm, check your base timing with a timing light. If you have a Pertronix setup it will probably run best at around 5-6 degrees btdc. This is only to say if the carb is not all gummed up and everything is good and well. There is probably a purple wire that comes from coil wire harness that goes to your choke. The choke must funtion properly until warmup occurs so as to be able to idle properly. Maybe take off flame arrestor on carb and inspect. I would not adjust anything initially simply to see if it is working unless you have an idling problem to begin with. The choke has to be adjusted with a cold engine. My point is this: You should be able to idle at say 600-650 rpm after warmup and choke working properly. The lower the idle the better for initial base timing! These engines have a rapid timing advance curve. If you have the points setup, there was a Merc. bulletin that changed base timing from 8 degrees btdc to 4 degrees btdc. An older manual may tell you to set at 8 but it was changed to 4 for the points setup just so you know. The 5-6 with the Pertronix is up to you depending on how engine idlles,runs,etc. Also, under your points and or Pertronix setup you should inspect the mechanical weights and make sure the springs are intact and everything is clean and working as should. Check distributor shaft for play,wobble. (bushings) Hopefully, the distributor is in good shape. Also, if you have the Pertronix setup, regap plugs to no more than .040. You have to understand that the fuel is completely different than it was when these engines firts came out in the 70's.
I have forgotten what the gap is for points if you decide to run with them so you will have to read the manual for that. Check key switch wire to coil to make sure you are getting 12 volts. Check plugs with spark tester to see if the coil is working and you are getting spark. Check wires to starter for corrosion. Check all wires for corrosion. If you get engine to fire, check to see what kind of oil pressure you have if sender and gauge are indeed working, check voltage gauge to see if you are charging. You will know if it is charging or not over time by plug inspection and it will probably load up with unburned fuel and maybe backfire. Also, plugs will be all black with carbon with weak spark. It happened to me when I first ran my boat. Lube any grease fitting on the outer gimbal housing especially the grease nipple that lubes the actual gimbal bearing if it has a lube point. It should be at around the 3:00 looking at outer gimbal housing at top of drive. Don't start without lubing anything and everything that needs lubing. (steering upper pivot and at trim switches both sides) There are lube points for the steering inside on steering cable tube where it attaches to tiller. (wipe clean and lube with 2-4c) Make sure steering is smooth and don't force wheel if it is tight until you lube. (or you will be buying a new steering cable) Check power trim reservoir level. Check power steering pump oil level at top front of engine. Hopefully, if you have power steering, your power assist is not leaking. Mine was and I had to replace at around $150. Also, make sure you check your drive for oil. Drain and check for water,metal,etc. If everything is good along with pressure test then refill from bottom drain plug on lower unit until oil comes out of the upper drive fill level plug. Make sure drive is pretty level when doing this. Hopefully, your drive is not seized up and still intact. You will know this if you were to try and start with good battery,starter,etc. and the starter simply labors,clicks or seems to be under too much of a load. Hopefully, that is not the case, but you will know pretty quickly. The engine and drive are turning together when running all the way down to the raw water pump so if the drive is locked up, you won't be able to run the engine unless you were to remove drive and supply raw water directly to inlet side of heat exchanger. (hopefully that is not the case) Forward and reverse are engaged at the very bottom of the lower unit via the shift linkage but the drive is always turning when engine is running along with raw water pump. That is why it is so important to supply water to drive even running for only a matter of more than a few seconds because if not the hot exaust gases will go down and cook a brand new water impellar very quickly. Then you have an overheat condition which could blow head gasket or even worse engine failure. Also, try not to run engine on trailer,ears,hose at high rpms. I think your supposed to run engine at a maximum of around 1500-2000 rpms for short periods of time just to be safe. You will have to water test at higher rpms only. I posted this today only because I already went through alot of the things you are about to go through if you indeed decide to spend the time and money to get this boat up and running. Again, I provided alot of information (not all) that may help you get the engine and drive possibly to a running condition but I cannot physically see the boat,know it's condition,etc. I simply gave you a starting platform so as to give you a fighting chance. Post some pics. all the best, Tom

Last edited:
Tom, wow! Thanks for taking the time to write this list of things to do and check. I really appreciate it! I have printed it out and will be crossing off things as I get them done. I will be taking pictures this weekend to post. It's dark when I leave for work, and dark when I get home, so the pictures will get taken this weekend.

Thanks everyone for all your input on this boat! Dave

I went to transfer title yesterday and found out the title was for the trailer, not the boat. I called previous owner, and she thought it only had the green registration sticker, not a title. I explained that the DMV said there is a separate title for boat and trailer, and the DMV gave me paperwork to send to her to apply for duplicate title. Hope all goes well......Dave

Dave, I don't know what State you are in, but here in Oregon our vessel titles are issued through our Oregon State Marine Board, and our trailer titles are issues through our Oregon DMV.
Regardless, if you have a bill of sale for the boat, the entity may be able to provide you with a lost title application of sorts.

Rick, I am in MN and the MN Department of Natural Resources issues the watercraft title and registration. I did not get a bill of sale. It was a Craigslist deal, and I paid cash, he gave me paperwork (title, mercruiser installation manual) and keys, and I towed boat away. I can call the guy I bought it from and request a bill of sale if you think I need it. I did send the application for duplicate title form to previous owner to have her fill out and send in. I asked her to send me the duplicate once she gets it in mail.

I know this is going to bring down alot of flack, but I bought one and used it all last summer and had no problems, but from what I have read they do have problems. do what browning marine said, good luck.

I had a 470 and would have a bunch more!!! Great motors.By now all the problems were worked out. Enjoy it. Browning,Great post, They invented a paragraph for a reason. Very hard to read and follow.Thanks.

I too im thinking of getting a century meridien 28 with twin merc 4cly 1985 yr everybody on blogs say run dont walk ,had mechanic [auto] come down we hooked up water and started eng started in 30sec and purred . Someone had stole one carb [quad-jet] so we had to change carbs 2nd eng started just as fast and sounded just as good .did fill up cooling tank but eather get full or it ran out no water in bildge . Steering doesnt work and tilt pump reservoy has no oil due to hole around bolt .i beat on transom and bottom with rubber mallot and it sounded sound. I read browning marine i guess he is talking of same engine. Boat it self is in great shape.also should i chang out charging system if this one is working ? And most of all should i run not walk.. Boat is 2500.00 thanks in advance ,and great site

Poke around the floor, stringers and inside of the transom w/an awl (icepick) including the motor mount bases for hidden rot. Poke hard to see if water drips out...more than likely the floatation foam, if equipped, is waterlogged. Only way to get rid of water is to remove the foam...floor has to come up to do it.

Low coolant can be a leaking water circulating pump seal...check the oil for coolant. Pressure testing the coolant tank w/radiator pressure tester will tell you if the leak is in the engine...remove oil fill cap and listen for bubbling...or in the heat exchanger.

I would dump the old OB motor charging system for a more reliable single wire 100 amp alternator. The output wire will need to carry 100 amps...don't use the old wiring. One alternator should suffice for both engines...others will disagree. Remove the old stator and magnets.

Offer them $1500 or less if you find problems...or run away from the moneypit. When running they are great power to weight ratio engines. Manifolds are very expensive...$650 or more if you can find them.

If it still has points replace them w/Pertronics electronic ignition. Verify there is no play in the distributor shaft...also check the advance weights for corrosion. Install new impellers in the ODs since the engine cannot take overheating...aluminum block and cast iron head doesn't like overheating since the head gasket fails easily.

i too im thinking of getting a century meridien 28 with twin merc 4cly 1985 yr everybody on blogs say run dont walk ,had mechanic [auto] come down we hooked up water and started eng started in 30sec and purred . Someone had stole one carb [quad-jet] so we had to change carbs 2nd eng started just as fast and sounded just as good .did fill up cooling tank but eather get full or it ran out no water in bildge . Steering doesnt work and tilt pump reservoy has no oil due to hole around bolt .i beat on transom and bottom with rubber mallot and it sounded sound. I read browning marine i guess he is talking of same engine. Boat it self is in great shape.also should i chang out charging system if this one is working ? And most of all should i run not walk.. Boat is 2500.00 thanks in advance ,and great site
stay away!

So, basically 360 total horsepower at the props with the two Rochester Quadrajets if all is well and good. Not alot of power for a boat of that size. Not trying to be negative but I would be concerned. I guess it depends on condition of hull, weight, type. If it is waterlogged, run like a banshee and don't look back! lol Hopefully foam was not used in the hull. I know nothing of that manufacturer, so can't say good or bad. Those coolant reservoirs should be full and stay close to full unless someone did not fill them adequately after doing something prior or even worse, you could have coolant mixing with oil. (Check dipsticks carefully for signs of overfull or milkshake effect.) You could have bad risers or manifolds. You could be blowing coolant right out of the exaust while they were running. Did you smell coolant? I would do as guyjg suggests and pressure test both closed cooling systems. I would do a compression test on all the cylinders on each engine. When you ran engines did you look at oil pressure and water temp. gauges? What are you getting? If they will let you, drain some oil from drives and see what it looks like. (any water or metal?) Pressure test the drives also. Also, you might have a tough time locating a rochester quadrajet. NLA! I had to search high and low and bought spares for rebuild. The rebuild kits are very difficult to find also. * I would not buy any carbs. from any carb. shop on the internet. Most of them will not work properly. It will state it is for a 470 but I can assure you, there will be problems. Some shops will cannibalize parts out of your carb. so as to acquire the NLA parts because they have become so rare. The bore of the jets is different with the 470 quadrajet. You cannot just bolt up any say 600-650 cfm four barrel carb. The engine will fall flat on it's face! See if you can buy one from someone parting out a running engine. I paid $250 for one out of a running engine and got lucky. It actually works perfectly. There is a book on rebuilding rochester quadrajets. It costs around $20.00. I never bought it but will eventually do so. Don't be afraid to ask owner about the engines. How many hours? If so, when were cam seals replaced? How old are risers and manifolds? Salt or fresh water usage? When were raw water pumps last changed? How do the props look? Past overheat issues? What type of climate has the boat been exposed to? How long? You would basically have to go through most of what I posted up above to ensure any type of dependability. I would offer them no more than $1200.00. Forgot to ask if they have a trailer with boat? What make and condition? On a good note, you could part the boat out if it does not work out. I am sure if you did it right, you could probably get a few grand for the engines, drives, and whatever else is salvageable. But it's all hard work and don't forget that it could cost you a good few bucks to dispose of the hull if things don't work out. Just think about it carefully before you jump the gun. best of luck, Tom

So, basically 360 total horsepower at the props with the two Rochester Quadrajets if all is well and good. Not alot of power for a boat of that size. Not trying to be negative but I would be concerned. I guess it depends on condition of hull, weight, type. If it is waterlogged, run like a banshee and don't look back! lol Hopefully foam was not used in the hull. I know nothing of that manufacturer, so can't say good or bad. Those coolant reservoirs should be full and stay close to full unless someone did not fill them adequately after doing something prior or even worse, you could have coolant mixing with oil. (Check dipsticks carefully for signs of overfull or milkshake effect.) You could have bad risers or manifolds. You could be blowing coolant right out of the exaust while they were running. Did you smell coolant? I would do as guyjg suggests and pressure test both closed cooling systems. I would do a compression test on all the cylinders on each engine. When you ran engines did you look at oil pressure and water temp. gauges? What are you getting? If they will let you, drain some oil from drives and see what it looks like. (any water or metal?) Pressure test the drives also. Also, you might have a tough time locating a rochester quadrajet. NLA! I had to search high and low and bought spares for rebuild. The rebuild kits are very difficult to find also. * I would not buy any carbs. from any carb. shop on the internet. Most of them will not work properly. It will state it is for a 470 but I can assure you, there will be problems. Some shops will cannibalize parts out of your carb. so as to acquire the NLA parts because they have become so rare. The bore of the jets is different with the 470 quadrajet. You cannot just bolt up any say 600-650 cfm four barrel carb. The engine will fall flat on it's face! See if you can buy one from someone parting out a running engine. I paid $250 for one out of a running engine and got lucky. It actually works perfectly. There is a book on rebuilding rochester quadrajets. It costs around $20.00. I never bought it but will eventually do so. Don't be afraid to ask owner about the engines. How many hours? If so, when were cam seals replaced? How old are risers and manifolds? Salt or fresh water usage? When were raw water pumps last changed? How do the props look? Past overheat issues? What type of climate has the boat been exposed to? How long? You would basically have to go through most of what I posted up above to ensure any type of dependability. I would offer them no more than $1200.00. Forgot to ask if they have a trailer with boat? What make and condition? On a good note, you could part the boat out if it does not work out. I am sure if you did it right, you could probably get a few grand for the engines, drives, and whatever else is salvageable. But it's all hard work and don't forget that it could cost you a good few bucks to dispose of the hull if things don't work out. Just think about it carefully before you jump the gun. best of luck, Tom

Like I said, Stay away! You can talk yourself into buying this boat. Please don't.

thanks for all the feed back ,and boy is it easy to talk your self into something .we bought a 24' searay 2years ago and had a engine rebuilt for it .removed all teak wood and redid it new seats carpet .hull so slick fly cant land on it.and still hasnt been in water. we are planning trip down tn-tom to gulf but work has put it on hold ,but after looking at this boat it has so much more room its hard to resist .and price is less than gas for trip .local boat dealer said cooling baffles could be ,if needed,fixed at radiator shop they have it done from time to time . if charging system is putting out enough is it nessary to change out.will do compression ck next . and quad -jet carb no problem finding one 50.00+ 75.00 kit and rebuild by reliable mech iv known for years . again thanks for come backs ,oh no water in oil good and clear .

Back