Logo

Should removing the swivel mount be this complicated?

OrangeCrush26

I have a 2002 15hp Mercury 2-stroke (Model No. 1015211ZD, Serial No. QT495365) on my Pearson 26 in Brooklyn, NY.

My outboard was broken off of its mounting bracket by debris during Hurricane Sandy (Overall I was very lucky, and my heart goes out to all those who lost their boats and homes).

I am trying to get off the broken swivel mount so I can replace it, but I can't figure out how to remove the swivel head that holds it on. The bottom part has bolts and was easily detached from it's rubber side gaskets (motor mounts?), but the top part does not have bolts, and the swivel mount can't be slid off because the upper anti-cavitation plate blocks the swivel mount from sliding down off the swivelhead. I labeled these two sets of bolts 'A' and 'B' on the attached parts diagram.

I've come to the conclusion that I will need to remove the powerhead to get the upper motor mounts off. I disconnected the powerhead but left the fuel and electrical components on. Even though the powerhead is disconnected, I've been having a hell of a time wrenching the top of the exhaust housing from the plastic bottom casing that it fits into. I can keep trying to jiggle and pry and force it, as long as there is nothing else holding it on from the inside. Perhaps the plate that holds the water tube has additional bolts that aren't visible? I removed the lower unit before I disconnected the powerhead so the drive shaft is not an issue.

But if and when I can get the exhaust housing to come off, I'm still not sure how to proceed. I think I will have enough play in the swivel mount to slide the mounting bracket off and slide a new one on, then replace the gaskets under the powerhead and bolt it all back together. But since I have come this far, it seems like i should replace the thick rubber motor mounts, since they are showing signs of cracking and wear. I can't imagine how the metal collar will be slid off of the rubber mounts. I could cut the rubber mounts, but how would I get the the metal collar back over the new rubber mounts without some sort of gigantic hydraulic press to squeeze in the rubber.

This process is not covered in my Seloc manual. I spoke with someone from Mercury and he assured me there weren't any unique tools required for this repair, but encouraged me to buy the official manual to walk me through it, or take it to a dealer. I'm almost at my wits end, but I would really like to complete this repair myself.
I'm comfortable enough with this type of work, I just can't figure out how I will be able to overpower 1) the gasket around the top of the exhaust housing and 2) the motor mounts themselves. Can I do this without completely disconnecting the powerhead from fuel and electrical components? Is there anything else I should be doing while I have things apart as they are now?

Any and all advice you can offer me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack

Attachments

• mounts.jpg
    mounts.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 294
  • engine shaft.jpg
    engine shaft.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 411
Last edited by a moderator:
Back