Logo

1972 SeaSwirl Another Question.....

I have solved all the previous question with your help and the boat is running very well with one exception. Could I get some ideas that might help.

This is a 120 HP OMC (chevy engine). I has the two barrel rochestor carb. The carb has been rebuilt, new seals for exhaust installed, and an electronic ignition has been installed. The problem is that the engine hesitates when coming up to speed from idle and then takes off just fine. The temp guage never goes above 100 either.

Wondering if someone has removed the thermostat, although not sure this would give the inital problem prior to total warmup. My buddy thinks it is a possible timing problem. apparnetly these engines don't have vacume advance and this is done thorugh I think springs/magnets. I would think this is something simple........We will take it out again under load an see what we can see but any ideas or steps to isolate the problem would be helpful....

Thanks, glen:confused:

Who rebuilt the carb. ? This should be a 2gc rochester. Was the correct kit used ? The accel. pump is important and well as replacing the ball bearing under it.

On the trailer with water going to the drive ( never run the engine dry) and the drive fully down, start the engine and spray wd 40 or carb cleaner around the base and linkage of the carb does the engine run differently, if yes you need to tighten down the carb a little more.

I still think someone used the wrong accel pump or did not replace the ball bearing.

Who rebuilt the carb. ? This should be a 2gc rochester. Was the correct kit used ? The accel. pump is important and well as replacing the ball bearing under it.

On the trailer with water going to the drive ( never run the engine dry) and the drive fully down, start the engine and spray wd 40 or carb cleaner around the base and linkage of the carb does the engine run differently, if yes you need to tighten down the carb a little more.

I still think someone used the wrong accel pump or did not replace the ball bearing.

Ok, I will ask my friend about this information. The engine did this prior to rebuilding. In fact there was a squel which I thought was the alternator, turns out it was the carb, as the noise is gone now that the seals have been replaced etc. My friend is pretty good at this stuff as he owns a boat shop but I will of course mention these ideas to him as well. The boat runs great if we can just get this issue resloved it will be a great day for me. Thanks for your input as well. I am learning a great deal here and I appreciate too.

Glen;)

Back