Logo

454 MPI Fast Idle

SeaRayTom

I just bought a 1999 Sea Ray 340 a week ago. I spent a couple of days on it this past weekend and while I was there I replaced the plugs. I took it out on Friday and everything ran fine. After I changed the plugs on Saturday I took it out and one of the engines wouldn`t idle (In nuetral) below about 1200 RPM`s. I replaced the old plugs with the same plugs that were in it and they are also the same as whats listed on the side of the engine to use. The second engine runs just fine and has no change. Is it possible I bumped or pulled something while working on them or would a loose plug wire do it?
This is a new world for me so I appreciate any help.

Ayuh,... Anything is possible,.... Have ya checked the throttle cable adjustment,..??

There should be a slight tension, holdin' the butterfly shut, in neutral/ idle...

I haven`t had a chance to really look at it. It`s five hours away and it should be shipped up here this week. It`s fuel injected so I`m not sure it has a butterfly.

I think the tach is correct because it`s clearly running faster than the other engine. Makes it tricky to back into a slip when one is out running the other. I`ll check the throttle when it gets here. Thank you.

The boat arrived in one piece and we got her safely to her new home. As my buddy and mechanic were in the engine compartment going over everything before we sat her in the lake I noticed my friend reached down and plugged in a vacume line that was unplugged. I`m pretty sure that was the problem because the boat runs just fine now. It`s located on the top of the motor so it would`ve been easy for me to have knocked it loose.
Probably the only fix I`ll ever get for free. :)
Thanks for your help guys.

Back