Logo

reed valves replasment on tohatsu M140A2

costa costa

hello i m nikos from greece and i have a tohatsu M140A2 1996 mod i have the carburators and reed valves out for cleaning and i m wondering if it is worth it to upgrate to boysen power reeds .? i care more for fuel economy and smouth operation of my engine ...i m sorry for my bad english i hope to understand me and give me your opinion thank you .

Stainless reeds are very good and reliable.-----Composite reeds may not last as long and can fail.----Have a 200 HP motor that I picked up as scrap , composite reed valve was collapsed and of course difficult to trouble shoot.-----Lack of performance made shop / owner decide not worth fixing and buy a new motor like everyone else.

Not trying to thread-jack here, but running on the same topic: What if you are concerned more with total output than smooth idle and economy? Would the Boyesen reeds make a noticeable difference? I would be happy with even one extra horse on my NS8B. Or, I remember an old trick of flipping the reeds from riding dirtbikes years ago. Thoughts?

Not trying to thread-jack here, but running on the same topic: What if you are concerned more with total output than smooth idle and economy? Would the Boyesen reeds make a noticeable difference? I would be happy with even one extra horse on my NS8B. Or, I remember an old trick of flipping the reeds from riding dirtbikes years ago. Thoughts?[/
the toha manual says it s forbidden to turn the reeds to the other side they can break .

Yep. Stock reeds give the best overall performance. Aftermarket reeds will give some minimal power increase, but they don't hold up as well, idle poorly, and cause more carb spitting.

Back