Logo

Johnson 60hp VRO. starting problem!!!

gusmac1981

Hi there. I have a johnson 60hp VRO outboard. its starting to take longer to start than normal. some time it starts 1st time and uthers it can take abut 5mins to get it going. when i was last out on my boat it was running sweet. then i come back in to shore left it for 20mins then it wouldent start. So i puld the outboard up then started to turn the outboard over then you get we burst as if its going to go then it starts. when its started its fine. i just put new plugs in it but still the same.

Model # ??--------2 or 3 cylinder ???--------A motor like yours in good condition starts right up.-------So explain in some detail how you try and start this motor.-----What are the results of a compression test ?-----What are the results of an actual spark intensity check ?------Does the choke / primer click when you push in the key??----If the starter / battery / battery cables are in poor condition then you will have trouble starting the motor.

hi there bud thanks for getting in tuch. all i now is its a Johnson 60hp VRO. its a 3 cylinder, when i go to start it i pump the fual then turn the key to start but like aye sead some times it starts no problem and utheres it just dosent want to fire. but when it start up its fine. you can turn it off and it will start agen no problem. but if you lev it abut 1/2 hr it will no start.

i have put new plug in it and cleand the carbs but thats still not working. aye dont now any thing abut outboard as am just getting in to the sport.

hopr this info is any good.

If you have the proper control for the motor you need to do the following steps for starting.---------Fill the carburetors using the manual pump.--------Move the fast idle / warm up lever to give the motor some throttle.------Crank the motor over and push and hold the key in to operate the choke / primer while it is cranking.----Once motor is running you may have to push key in momentarily till it warms up.------------Slow idle down immediately since it is not good for one of these motors to wind up in nuetral.

hi there bud i have just tryd it. its still no firen up right away. 2 or 3 mins later it fires up. am going to change the fual filter to see how that is.

(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
(J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position.

Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pass thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold passageways.

Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Some engines incorporates the "Fast Start" feature which automatically advances the spark electronically so no advance of the throttle is required for starting.

Engines that do not have the "Fast Start" feature will be required to have the throttle advanced slightly.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

You have just lost me there bu lol i dont now whats what. yea all 3 coils or working. my levers are white. plus this outboard has a manual choke. is there any one in scotland that can have alook at it for me????

Post a model # of your motor or some pictures.----Post #2 suggests some things to check.---We need to establish what you have.

In total agreement with Racerone... Need that model number.

NOTE: Standing in back of engine facing spark plugs.... Left is PORT.... Right is STARBOARD.

Places to look for the model number..... Small plate of port transom bracket (Bkt that bolts eng to boat).... Small core plug on powerhead (Looks like a quarter size freeze out plug).... Top portion of swivel bracket (Bkt that engine swings on) between swivel bracket and large exhaust housing (Hsg between powerhead and lower unit).

The VRO models did not incorporate a butterfly choke arrangement, they used the primer solenoid setup.

If you intend to keep that engine for any length of time, it would be a good idea to obtain a service manual for that exact model in order to avoid an expensive mistake.

Johnson 60Vro. Model number;BJ60ELCEA

SDC11637.jpg

SDC11636.jpg

Model BJ60ELCEA indicates a 1989 60hp Johnson, Electric, Long Shaft engine, manufactured in Belgium.

B = Belgium
J = Johnson
60 = Hp
E = Electric
L = Long Shaft
C = 8
E = 9
A = Factory run number. Of no consequence.

The large black plastic item just below the electric starter is the VRO pump... pumps both gasoline and oil, mixing the two internally, then delivering that mixture to the carburetors. VRO = Variable Ratio Oil.

That model has the Fuel Primer Solenoid which replaces the choke butterfly setup.

The oil primer bulb needs to be pumped only if repairs are done in that area (oil tank, oil lines, VRO, etc). After that, if the oil bulb is hard, DO NOT pump it further as that will load the carburetors up with excessive oil.

I'm assuming that you have the standard white Johnson control box that has the separate "lift type" warm up throttle lever that advances the throttle without putting the engine into gear.

STARTING PROCEDURE:

Cold Engine... Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, Lift the warm up lever to apply some throttle, turn the key to the START position and PUSH AND HOLD IN the key to activate the primer solenoid to prime the cylinders with fuel. Engine should fire and start within six revolutions. When engine starts, release the key to its normal RUN position.

Hot Engine... Lift warm up lever to apply some throttle, Turn key to the START position. When engine starts, release the key. NOTE... Should engine not start within six revolutions (or very close to it), revert to the Cold Engine start procedure.

I dont now what am looking for. when I push the key in all I hear is a click noise.

The primer solenoid is usually on the opposite side of the engine.... not on the VRO pump side. a black cylindrical object about 3" long, 1" round with a RED pointed knob on one end. That knob must be pointed at the other end of the solenoid in order for it to function with the key.

If you have that RED knob in any other position, fuel flows freely thru it and will flood the engine with gasoline.

Find the click, you found the solenoid.

yea bud its got the white control box. see when i push the key in what noise shut it make? can you tell what age the out board from that number? i got told its a 1985??

The primer solenoid is usually on the opposite side of the engine.... not on the VRO pump side. a black cylindrical object about 3" long, 1" round with a RED pointed knob on one end. That knob must be pointed at the other end of the solenoid in order for it to function with the key.

If you have that RED knob in any other position, fuel flows freely thru it and will flood the engine with gasoline.

Find the click, you found the solenoid.

Yea i now where that is. but the arrow is pointing up the way.

The motor is an 89 model ----As is suggested by the name the electric primer has a wire going to it and fuel hoses too.----Pull one of the wee hoses of at the carburetor.--Crank the motor over and push in the key.----Fuel should squirt out the wee hose when the key is pushed in.

what if it dosent bud? Do you have a way to see how old my boat is? i have the vin number but its back wards. SO THIS IS THE VIN THE RIGHT WAY LOL. VIN;WRGBJ12GM89

Back