Logo

Adjusting a Nylon Stuffing Box

JJDebeers

Regular Contributor
stuffing box.jpg

Does anyone have any experience adjusting the nylon type stuffing boxes? Since the cotter pin holes only line up in one position, adjustments can only be made in full turn increments. Is a full turn too much for adjusting a stuffing box?

-JJ

View attachment 5832

Does anyone have any experience adjusting the nylon type stuffing boxes? Since the cotter pin holes only line up in one position, adjustments can only be made in full turn increments. Is a full turn too much for adjusting a stuffing box?

-JJ

I set my V-drive and mastercraft to Two or three drops per minute are adequate.
You can adjust them a little looser, it will not hurt any thing ,you will just get more water in the bilge area.

never seen one....I'd think you could add more options for the cotter pin with a drill....

For the bronze boxes, most people use the xx drip/min method....it usually gives you a conservative setting....I'm inclined to thing as long as it doesn't get 'hot', it should be ok and doesn't require a drip...

View attachment 5832

-JJ
It is amazing that this technology is basically not much different than using greased oakam ropes of old. In fact, I bet that would be better, as Nylon is going to swell in salt water. I imagine that the nylon parts should be replaced on a regular basis.
Marc, charter yachts in Los Angeles https://onboat.co/marina-del-rey/

Back